Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS wont start-pop hood-starts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SS wont start-pop hood-starts?

That's it in a nut shell. I had an intermittent no start condition and it seemed that when I wiggled the shifter it started. Coincidence I believe. So then it got worse about not starting. So I bust out the ol Helm book and trace the circuit out. Checked the clutch switch, good, checked the starter relay. 86 had a good ground to BCM. 85 had voltage from key in crank position. 87 had battery voltage. 30 toned out to the connector on the pass side fender that goes to the starter solenoid. Pulled starter, cleaned residue from block and starter mounting surfaces. Cleaned rusty corrosion from solenoid post. Verified voltages at starter. Reinstall, rock and roll. Now its doing it again and this is the confusing part. Get in, turn key, nothing. Only thing I do is pull hood release, that's it, don't get out car, wiggle shifter, nothing. Turn key immediately thereafter and it fires. Like clock work now every time if fails to start, pop the hood latch and fires. Get out push hood back to latch. Followed hood cable, it dose not touch anything. No
wiring or anything. Pull handle touches nothing either. Im baffled on this one. Any thoughts?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Is the hood rubbing on one of the wire bundles from the pcm
Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

I looked up by the cowl to see if the harness was touching. Nothing even looks to be close. The shocks are in the clear also. but it has to be something like that.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Replace starter relay.