PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rely on old tune for break in period on new stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rely on old tune for break in period on new stroker?

I'm putting in an iron 6.2L with LS3 heads, Nasty fuel system, a FAST 102, and a 222/226 5xx/5xx 117 cam in my car, and I'm concerned about what to do for initial start up and break in. My car is tuned for a stock fuel system LS1 with a TR224/224 114 with stock heads and intake. Is the tune at a point where it would be close enough to the original cam to start up, or should I get a mail order tune before hand? My car was tuned at a shop, but I'm confused on how to get the car tuned without first breaking it in.

Thanks for the help,

-Chris
Old 07-27-2011, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Get a base tune for idle and part throttle, puts some miles on it and change the oil and get the WOT tuned finished. It may cost a few more dollars like that buts its way less than another motor. Most shops or tuners wont charge (or shouldnt) you full price for a second tune just to finish WOT.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just don't get these threads. Tow it to the shop it you have to. You spent all that money on the engine why cheap out on a base tune? It's easier to get the shop who is tuning it on the dyne for a base tune.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
I just don't get these threads. Tow it to the shop it you have to. You spent all that money on the engine why cheap out on a base tune? It's easier to get the shop who is tuning it on the dyne for a base tune.

To be fair, cheaping out on a base tune is not what I'm trying to imply. I want to know the correct way to tune it, not the cheapest. I share your frustration, though. I'm asking this question because I value the investment I've made thus far, and I'm asking what the safest way to tune the car is. I want to know how I'm supposed to break in the car without getting it tuned before hand. I was under the impression that to get a full tune, the car had to be exposed to WOT, and I didn't know if this was safe on a fresh build. Looks like my best option is to get a partial tune? with just basic changes, then after the break in get another tune? Thanks so much for the help guys, I really want to do this right the first time.

-Chris
Old 07-30-2011, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is good. Glad you are setting yourself up for success.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:24 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cool combination, how did you arrive @ that? Do you have some idea power wise? Should make some nice torque with so smooth manners.

As far as your tune my guess would be if you are still CL & the LTFT's are on it will re learn for part throttle.

Quick Reply: Rely on old tune for break in period on new stroker?