Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Autometer Tach?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing a Autometer Tach?

I was just wandering if anyone knows how to install one or knows where there are some directions to install one. I have heard that you have to send it off and have it set for the car, but then some people tell me you dont. I was just wandering if anyone knows. Thanks---JORDAN
Old 03-02-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its simple, for the ls1, its only putting half the signal to the tach wire, what I did for mine wuz just set the tach for a 4cylinder car and it works perfect, I did mine a long *** time ago and I cant remember exzactly what number and color wire to tap into on the pcm, remember only to tap into it not to cut the wire, anybody got that info handy?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

www.autometer.com

LS1 - '99+

On the passenger side firewall, in the engine bay, look for the "red" connector, which should be furthest from the fenderwell, and tap into pin number 10, which will be a white wire. However, if you have a Corvette, you will need to dig a little deeper, as the computer is underneath the battery. This requires removal of the front tire, and some of the fenderwell to gain access to the computer connector(s). If you have a Silverado with the 5.3L, the computer is located on the driver's side fenderwell behind the battery. You can follow the above information for the green wire connection, as it is the same. You will need to set the tach to the four cylinder setting for it to display the correct readings - (trust us). (2 PPR)

IN SOME INSTANCES, THE TACH OR SHIFT-LITE WILL NEED TO BE RETURNED TO US FOR CALIBRATION TO A LOWER VOLTAGE TO WORK ON THESE IGNITIONS...CALL US FOR DETAILS
Old 03-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

all you have to do is tap the pcm tach signal wire, cant remember which pin# it is, i think its pin 10, its a white wire..and give it power, and ground...not hard at all.. i have never heard of having to "send it off to have it set for your car"..

Last edited by spdrsr1; 03-02-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:30 PM
FormerVendor

You just have to set the tach for 4 cyl operation and tap into pin 10 from the pcm. I have had mine in the car for about 2 yrs now and it works flawless. The other wires for lights and all that other stuff i took power for them right out of the fuse box. The green wire (tach signal) wire was the only one that i spliced into. HTH