Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Firebird running issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 Firebird running issues

I installed a new short block for a friend and the car dies when I give it gas. When he bought the car it was not running so I do not know if the issues was there before...

The car will start and Idle but if you give it gas it will die. It was showing a P0122 code but I found a blown fues and now that code is not coming up any more. I pulled the intake and everything looks good.

I checked the TPS and it shows 5.03 volts and at WOT it drops to 4.83 and this reading is on the output wire(Blue) at the computer and sensor.

Any idea as to what it could be?
Old 08-14-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
I installed a new short block for a friend and the car dies when I give it gas. When he bought the car it was not running so I do not know if the issues was there before...

The car will start and Idle but if you give it gas it will die. It was showing a P0122 code but I found a blown fues and now that code is not coming up any more. I pulled the intake and everything looks good.

I checked the TPS and it shows 5.03 volts and at WOT it drops to 4.83 and this reading is on the output wire(Blue) at the computer and sensor.

Any idea as to what it could be?
take out the TPS and IAC sensors from the TB and clean them up. sometimes they get dirty with carbon and can cause weir readings.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got it...

The previous owner did not tell us he had 42 pound injectors. When he sold the car he gave the car with stock injectors. My Brother came over with HP tuners and cleaned everything up and now the car runs great.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
I got it...

The previous owner did not tell us he had 42 pound injectors. When he sold the car he gave the car with stock injectors. My Brother came over with HP tuners and cleaned everything up and now the car runs great.
nice...glad it was something easy
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bobbyd
nice...glad it was something easy
It just sucks because I spent about 6 hours looking at wiring diagrams and tracing wiring before he came over and found the problem. If the previous owner would have said it was tuned with the bigger injectors I would not have wasted my time.

Oh well, its running now and ready to go be tuned.