Sponsored by:

SCT Pro rookie, need help figuring VE, MAF tuning setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SCT Pro rookie, need help figuring VE, MAF tuning setup

Background:
2002 LQ4 with LS3 intake/injectors/cylinder heads and EPS.60x/.60x on 114+4 cam with 4L80e. Hooker longtubes, 3" magnaflow dual out, walbro 255 in tank, rear o2's/vats deleted. Transplanted into a 70 chevelle if it matters.

My tuning background is limited. I have used DHP with GM3800's successfully. That's the only software I've used though. On my last car, I setup and VE tuned LTFT's to 0 to -1 up to 100 KPA. Then I did maf adjustments to keep ltft's in that area after re enabling it. Then I did WOT tuning adjusting Maf to keep the o2's where I wanted them. I then went and worked on my spark tables to get as much out of what I had as I could. I'm not an expert by any means but I'm pretty sure that's what I need to do to this car as well.

So far I used the converted LS3 to Gen 3 injector tables and transposed and converted them for SCT's tables. I did this for Inj offset vs voltage, Flowrate vs kpa and short pulse adder. I also upped the idle to 950 and added (4) to the idle airflow table to get the car to idle without dying. Changing the injector tables helped keep my eyes from watering haha. Changing the idle and airflow tables allows me to keep it running without throttle input now. I'm not positive on where to go from here. I think I need to disable the Maf or fail it so that it doesn't influence my ltft's in VE. I'm not sure how to do that with SCT.
I've been trying to follow 69lt1birds "Gen III - Speed Density VE Table and MAF Tuning Instructions with a Wideband O2 Sensor" writeup to continue on but I'm not sure how to do equivalent things with SCT's software. I'm also lacking the wideband right now. I wanted to get a feel for SCT's stuff before spending money on the wideband. I'll get one for it eventually, but I need to know if I'm going to have to pay for a dyno tune or spend the money on the wideband and do it myself. Anyone want to help a novice navigate through one of the other softwares out there for LS motors? Thanks in advance for any help, I don't like to quit.

Edit:

I'd be happy to provide screen shots and stuff so people can see what the GM LS software is like and what it can do if that will help anyone.

Last edited by dirthead racing; 08-29-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Not everyone all at once now haha.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe try SCTs forums
Old 08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Teching In

I did. Ford guys galore. Different programming strategies and tables. LS1tech won't get any exposure to something that's only on SCT's forum.

Last edited by dirthead racing; 08-31-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel ya, just saying there are very few people using the SCT on GMs to my knowledge....
Old 08-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We are an SCT dealer but I hate to say they are definitely ford biased. Thier GM side is lacking when compared to some of the other softwares.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Was only able to play with software and scanner for a couple of days but here are my observations so far.

Tuning wise, they had tables transposed and units labeled differently than in HP tuners and efi live. It was also a little difficult locating tables in the software, but I was able to find what I needed. As far as support, well, there isn't much online other than on SCT's forums that I've found.

Scanning wise, it's a simple data logger. No tables to help you graph what you've hit, ect, ect. There are a ton of duplicate items, not all of which were working for me. I tried 3 different pids labeled TP%, TP, %tilt or something and none of them actually showed me the TPS value. That was pretty frustrating.

From my limited exposure, personally I'd rather invest money into EFIlive or HPtuners. I have no doubt that I could use SCT to tune my car. I feel that the data logging and online support put efilive and HPtuners on a higher level than where SCT is right now. That's my $.02 on that.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dirthead racing
Was only able to play with software and scanner for a couple of days but here are my observations so far.

Tuning wise, they had tables transposed and units labeled differently than in HP tuners and efi live. It was also a little difficult locating tables in the software, but I was able to find what I needed. As far as support, well, there isn't much online other than on SCT's forums that I've found.

Scanning wise, it's a simple data logger. No tables to help you graph what you've hit, ect, ect. There are a ton of duplicate items, not all of which were working for me. I tried 3 different pids labeled TP%, TP, %tilt or something and none of them actually showed me the TPS value. That was pretty frustrating.

From my limited exposure, personally I'd rather invest money into EFIlive or HPtuners. I have no doubt that I could use SCT to tune my car. I feel that the data logging and online support put efilive and HPtuners on a higher level than where SCT is right now. That's my $.02 on that.
SCT is not the software of choice for GM tuners. Support isn't there, software is crude, scanner leaves alot to be desired, etc.

Quick Reply: SCT Pro rookie, need help figuring VE, MAF tuning setup