PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hahaha....figure this ridiculous sh1t out......**UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What you guys described possibly sounds like a leak in the EVAP system...

during the first few minutes of engine running the PCM opens the purge solenoid/valve to pull residual gas fumes out of the charcol canister and into the intake manifold... if there is a leak between the purge valve and the canister, then this is a fairly large vacuum leak (un-metered extra air during open loop, engine runs lean, causes misfires), this continues until the purge valve is closed a few minutes later (vacuum leak stops, engine now runs good).

Last edited by joecar; 09-16-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
I would bet it's too lean when you first start it, and after it runs for a bit, it goes into closed loop, adds a bunch of fuel and BAM starts running good once it has enough fuel.

Then, even once it's warmed and in closed loop, and running good, your fuel trims are maxed. When your fuel trims are maxed, alot of times they'll reset to zero, and start over. That's your intermittent rough running even when it's warm.

The fuel trims being maxed are part of the lean code.

Root cause will be the tune is off pretty bad, or a contaminated MAF sensor.

PS, you need to check you plugs and plug wires real good too.
New plugs and wires went on 2 weeks ago. No wires are touching my LT's.....

I cleaned the MAF about 1 month ago, but I can do that again today.

My tune was done in 2002, and when I got a new PCM a year ago that same tune was downloaded to it and it's been perfect since.

I put a new fuel purge valve on last week (the one on the intake) that has been disconnected for about 6 months with a cap over the intake port. I put the new one on and the code P0443) went away.
Maybe its causing an issue.......can it make this issue happen???

Old 09-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joecar
What you guys described possibly sounds like a leak in the EVAP system...

during the first few minutes of engine running the PCM opens the purge solenoid/valve to pull residual gas fumes out of the charcol canister and into the intake manifold... if there is a leak between the purge valve and the canister, then this is a fairly large vacuum leak (un-metered extra air during open loop, engine runs lean, causes misfires), this continues until the purge valve is closed a few minutes later (vacuum stops, engine now runs good).

Huh....I just replaced that purge valve (on the intake) last week.

I'm gonna go outside now and unhook it again, cap that intake port and go for a drive.....see if the missing DOES NOT happen.....

Be right back......

Old 09-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

Unplugged that purge valve on the intake and disconnected the fuel line to the intake and capped off that port like its been for 6 months and has run perfectly fine.

Sprayed the hell outta the MAF with cleaner and the IAT sensor in the lid........

Same ****........missing/stumbling for a few minutes, then it clears up. It also came back for a few seconds after it had cleared up, then cleared again, then came back for a few seconds and cleared again. It would clear for like 6-7 seconds, then come back for 6-7 seconds, and so on........then it went away and stayed away all the way back to the house.

I also tried unplugging the MAF....it was hard to start. Turned over for like 3-4 full seconds before it started, then idled up and down. A key bump is all it ever takes to start it, so I guess the MAF is good.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So far, all the suggestions have been answered. So, without some hard data, it's all speculation. Get some real data collected, and then go from there.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned

So far, all the suggestions have been answered. So, without some hard data, it's all speculation. Get some real data collected, and then go from there.
I;'m going to Lashway Motorsports today at 4pm........they're gonna scan it properly.

BUT...listen to this craziness......

Today I get in my car, start it up and leave right away. I drive for about 2 minutes with zero missing. Then it starts.......it lasted for about 6 seconds and never came back all day, I drove for about 30 minutes total today so far, shutting the car off once inbetween for 25 minutes. After that 25 minute stop I started it up and drove home with no missing.
It's like its fixing itself of the missing/stumbling.

BUT....... Now I accelerated kind of hard one time from a traffic light on the way home, maybe 70% throttle, nothing crazy. I lost zero traction.......but the damn TCS activated and the light came on and the pedal dropped away from my foot like it does when you really lose traction. So, I stopped and tried it again, I accelerated kind of hard and TCS activated again.............what the hell...........

OH...I left the purge valve on the intake disconnected and the intake vacuum port capped since yesterday.......so.....

I'll post up the codes later.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're gonna need more than codes. Break out the scope and do some real diagnosing.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

You're gonna need more than codes. Break out the scope and do some real diagnosing.
I just got back from the shop...they read the same codes as before, just 02 sensor stuff. But after being there for about 1 hour and letting the car sit...I got back in to go home and the missing/stumbling never happened at all...

Maybe it was that purge valve because I haven;t connected it back yet......and the intake vacuum port is still capped.

Weird ****....eh!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the fuel trims doin when its miss also injector pulse width u could have leaking intake gaskets when cold causing a lean missfire and when it warms up the seals swell enough to seal and get rid of the lean condition or it going into closed loop and adding a bunch of fuel try spraying around the intake ports with carb cleaner while its missing and see if it goes away or smoke out the intake and look for vaccum leaks
Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spaulding
What are the fuel trims doin when its miss also injector pulse width u could have leaking intake gaskets when cold causing a lean missfire and when it warms up the seals swell enough to seal and get rid of the lean condition or it going into closed loop and adding a bunch of fuel try spraying around the intake ports with carb cleaner while its missing and see if it goes away or smoke out the intake and look for vaccum leaks
It only misses while I'm driving, so I can't spray the intake. My intake gaskets are 9 1/2 years old.

Also....just about 1 hour ago I went to the gym........engine was cold. I drive off and it was perfect, about 2 minutes into the drive it started to stumble under steady throttle doing 45mph. I left my foot where it was and it cleared up in about 15 seconds. Went into the gym for about 30 minutes...came out and started it up and left to go home...it immediately stumbled for about the first 3 minutes, then came alive and smoothed right out the rest of the way home, about 5 minutes.

Can bad intake gaskets really cause that.....if so, I'll change them. Easy job.

Maybe I can spray that carb cleaner around the intake when its dead cold.....will that show an increase in rpm if the carb cleaner gets sucked in.??

Sucks...because once it clears up the engine runs like new.......as it always has.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Ya intake gaskets can def. Do that espeacially being that old they get hard and brittle from heat cycling and fuel fumes its a easy and cheap enough option to rule it out keep us posted on what u find gd luck
Old 09-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spaulding
Ya intake gaskets can def. Do that espeacially being that old they get hard and brittle from heat cycling and fuel fumes its a easy and cheap enough option to rule it out keep us posted on what u find gd luck
I went out today to see if my intake bolts were loose, almost all of them were, especially on Bank 2 side...where the lean code was for that 02 sensor.

I was able to turn the bolts 2-3 full turns to tighten them. Other side too. But it still has the stumbling/missing AFTER the engine has been running for about 2 minutes while driving. Then after it stumbles/misses for about 10 seconds it cleared up for about 1 0seconds, then came back for about 10 seconds....and that was it, it stayed good till I shut down later on.

If I spray carb cleaner at each runner where the gaskets are while I'm idling with a cold engine, if there is a leaky gasket....what will happen? Engine rpm increase.....???

Old 09-17-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate intermittent problems. An intake gasket leaking bad enough to make it act like that wouldnt heal itself and then be normal for awhile. Since you say it only does it when driving, Problem sounds mechanically actuated. How much does your engine torque back and fourth when you rev it in neutral? It will move more than that with a load. Also any thing touching your steering components? Check all your sensor connections.. undo them and look at the prongs inside the connector and make sure none got pushed back.,...especially on those that the code pops up on.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Looking forward to strapping her down for more diagnostics
Old 09-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
I hate intermittent problems. An intake gasket leaking bad enough to make it act like that wouldnt heal itself and then be normal for awhile. Since you say it only does it when driving, Problem sounds mechanically actuated. How much does your engine torque back and fourth when you rev it in neutral? It will move more than that with a load. Also any thing touching your steering components? Check all your sensor connections.. undo them and look at the prongs inside the connector and make sure none got pushed back.,...especially on those that the code pops up on.
Yup.....I'd rather have a broken part that I can just spend money on and replace.

Weird thing about this is how its "time" related. It will miss/stumble for 6-10 seconds, then go away for 6-10 seconds, and so on. Till it decides to stay away and it runs perfect.

How many things on our engines can actually think like that...............PCM for sure can make its own changes. So its either a bad PCM of its getting weird signals from a sensor(s) making the PCM go through those changes.

I already unplugged and swapped the 02 sensors. I only have the front two.
I unplugged and checked MAF, TPS, IAC. PCV is the same as its always been.

I'm almost just tired of worrying about it. It clears up in 2-3 minutes, so I can live with it till my new set-up goes in. Hopefully in a couple months I can get it started.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Erik@Lashway
Looking forward to strapping her down for more diagnostics
Cool, thanks. I'll try to make it Thursday or Friday.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
FormerVendor

Wait, I got it!

98 PCM!!!!!

EWWW!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Erik@Lashway
Wait, I got it!

98 PCM!!!!!

EWWW!
The issue with the missing/stumbling can't be the 98 PCM......its been great for 9 1/2 years. I think its some shorting wires somewhere because the car is almost 14 years old. I gave up looking for it. I just sit out the 20-30 seconds of missing, I drive it very easy during that time...then it clears up and I'm good to go all day.

I'd still like to come by and put it up on the dyno to see what Josh see's because of the black soot in the pipes that Ollie saw. I'll try this next week sometime. I had to leave town last week for two days.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you pin point the cylinder or cylinders that are missing? A temp gun on the header tubes. The misfire will be colder. Maybe a bad injector sticking? Find the cold one and switch it out.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rich
Can you pin point the cylinder or cylinders that are missing? A temp gun on the header tubes. The misfire will be colder. Maybe a bad injector sticking? Find the cold one and switch it out.
Codes were read again today, there are no individual misfiring cylinders showing up. Its just the same codes every time...the 02 sensor codes. It only happens while moving so I haven't tried checking temps of the exhaust pipes. But after it clears up the engine runs perfectly fine.

When it misses/stumbles its all cylinders doing it evenly.

He watched it today and said Bank 2 was switching but the numbers were literally 3-4 up to like 8-9, sometimes read 0. Bank 1 was switching from the 400's up to the 800's.

He gave me a schematic and told me where to check 3 different grounds that are associated with the 02 sensors getting their power.

Do you know exactly where on the Drivers side head ground wire G112 is attached.....I need to check that to make sure its tight. But I'll just be reaching back there blind with my hand.

The other 2 are splices.....S104 and S108.......6 and 3 inches from the PCM, respectively.

Quick Reply: hahaha....figure this ridiculous sh1t out......**UPDATE**