PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie - Speed density tune on summer only 66 Nova in Michigan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Newbie - Speed density tune on summer only 66 Nova in Michigan?

Hey guys,

First, here's the mods: LS6 intake, 799 heads with AI valve job, AI cam (don't know what they are going to spec for me yet), full length headers, no cats, Dynomax bullets, X pipe, 4L60e, ported/polished TB with epoxy mod.

I tried to do some searching, and came up with speed density results for daily drivers in all 4 seasons. Apparently it can be difficult to get the car to run well all year long.

But what about my paricular situation? I'm doing a conversion in a 66 Nova that will only be driven during the typical Michigan spring, summer, and fall. Probably temps from 50 to 90, varying humidity, and not much elevation change (not sure if any of that even matters....I don't know much about this stuff.....YET). Car will be street driven only on nice days.

To make things look great, fit well, and have a cold air intake location, I'll have to leave out the MAF. It can be done with the MAF, but I just don't like the way it looks under the hood. Might sound ridiculously picky, but I just don't like it.

So, will a speed density tune fit the bill for me?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be fine. A friend of mine has an 02 silverado we built a 408 for about 5 years ago. The top end of the motor changed about 6 mos after the motor went in, went with different heads etc. More importantly, I put a vic jr single plane with edelbrocks 4bbl tb. I didn't like the ideal of the elbow. So we got a standard style air cleaner, put the iat sensor in the cleaner base and speed density it was. Been on the same tune ever since. Sure it can be a lil tempermental in out cold weather down here in the winter, but it has worked out great for him, response with that tb is amazing too. hope this helps
Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tuned some swaps with 4bbl throttle bodies like described above (no MAF) and they turned out great. It is going to depend on the tuner and which operating system they use - I use EFILive custom operating systems designed for speed density tunes...