PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $400 for my Tech II, but I don't use it too often anymore. I use WinTech2 90% of the time. The Kwp2000 cars need a real Tech II yet

I am under the impression that if you purchase a 1 months TIS subscription you will be able to update the Tech II
Old 11-02-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you only get calibrations with the short term subscriptions (TIS-SPS 3month or 2 day), but I may be wrong. I just do a yearly TIS-ALL. It is cheaper to do a yearly subscription if you use it very much.

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
I paid $400 for my Tech II, but I don't use it too often anymore. I use WinTech2 90% of the time. The Kwp2000 cars need a real Tech II yet

I am under the impression that if you purchase a 1 months TIS subscription you will be able to update the Tech II
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by busta9876
Noticed you can get this in a 3 day license for $55.00 now. No annual option unless you spend $3100/year for Complete GM Service Package

Service Info
Tech 2 Updates
Service Programming
GDS
Tech2Win.
Originally Posted by busta9876
Sweet...I found out if you have the Service Programming with Tech 2 Updates, you automatically have Tech2Win. I just installed it and its working good. Looks like you get 30 days per license update.
WinTech2 is very nice
Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Don't buy the Ebay junk. If you get one and it's a piece of crap, what will you do then? No one to send it back to, no one to warranty it.
thats incorrect , some clones are offered with 2 years warranty, longer than the original tech 2, and there is a uk dealer that will fix up the clone tech 2`s
Old 12-24-2014, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Macfly
Mee too, a Chineese clone but works great but can't touch the PCM with a Tech 2 and i prefer HpTuners for that
It needs TIS2000 software to program PCM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a real tech 2 for sale 1200obo
Old 09-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Teching In

There are a few known issues with the clone Tech 2's... They can be repaired to work just fine.

You'll need a decent temperature controlled soldering station, quality electronics dikes, 60:40 Pb-Sn solder, and a 5 diopter or better magnifying lamp.

The DC-DC convertor is a cheezy knockoff rather than a decent equivalent part. Don't use the clone without replacing this part with a good one. Mere mortals can't buy the MeanWell converter used on the Vertronix and Bosch units. There are decent replacement units that actually work properly unlike the part the clones ship with. R&R with a 6 terminal Mornsun VRB1205LD-15W DC-DC converter. You can get that part on evilbay and aliexpress for $20-$36.

Most clones use a cheaper multichannel RS232 Interface chip. If your unit has the SO-16 MAX202 rather than the proper robust SO-16 MAX232ESE+ chip replace it. The serial port is not reliable at any baud rates with the wrong part. The MAX232ESE+ is around $5 from the usual suspects Mouser, Newark, DigiKey, ... R&R the MAX202 with the MAX232. With the new chip it will work just fine at 115200 baud with a decent RS-232 serial adapter.
My first choice is a real RS232 to PCMCIA or Expresscard adapter from Quatech if they are still available.
Automation Direct sells their Gold-X $35 USB-RS232 adapter that's recommended by several folks for the Tech 2. I use both the Gold X and Quatech Expresscard interfaces at work for programming PLC units and configuring and interrogating dataloggers.

The VCI sometimes has cold solder joints or badly soldered joints on the interconnect and D-Sub connector that show up after a few months of use. From what I've read used Bosch, HP, and Vertronix units can have the same problem. The "real" VCI will not have incompletely soldered through hole and SMD connections but this is a $250 Tech 2 Clone. I didn't pay multiple thousands of dollars so I expect this kind of easily fixed QC issues.

The Mainboards occasionally have some solder joints that would not meet normal QC standards. Touch them up with a little more solder.

The 33.004 GM NAO card will work just fine with everything I've worked on back to the early 1990's and late 1980's. I would get a copy of Compuapps OnBelay 2.0 or something similar and make a binary backup image of the 32 meg card using the PCMCIA port on your laptop when your unit arrives.

You can buy new 32 meg SanDisk 5v 68pin Linear flash cards on Amazon for under $30. DO NOT get 3.3v cards for use in a Tech II they will let out the magic smoke. Ancient 12v cards will work but can't be written on any laptop made after the mid 1990's and I'm unsure if a newer Tech II will write to them.

Last edited by My325; 09-04-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krawczuk
thats incorrect , some clones are offered with 2 years warranty, longer than the original tech 2, and there is a uk dealer that will fix up the clone tech 2`s
which tech2 clone has a warranty? Having difficulty finding one. Need it to bleed my brakes and read bcm codes
Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just get a vcx nano from eBay and be done with it. I run a hacked version of tech 2 win and i can program new modules(door switches and bcm) and stuff like that with out using an internet connection. It's available in the usual places. I've had it for over two years and no problems yet. Goes great with my other hacked programs I've acquired over the years like hptuners and bmw and Nissan stuff
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Tech 2's aren't that special compared to your typical high end scanner. They will allow a little more functionality, but not the type that gear heads typically use. The only real thing a tech 2 can do that your typical good bi directional scanner can't do is program some modules.

But a good bi directional can command learning for other basic stuff like idle learns, hvac motor position learning, crank/cam learn etc..

So why get stuck on a tech 2 when the things it does most, will be what you use least?

Quick Reply: Tech2 questions