Sponsored by:

Good temp sender Location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Good temp sender Location?

How many of you are fed up with a temp gauge that works like an idiot light? I am so I ordered an Autometer temp gauge with electric sender. But I'm wondering where a good place to put the sender would be? Anybody got any ideas?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok if you look at the driver side head in front of the first bolt on the exh manifold youll see the factory sending unit. Pretend that it (head) is turned around and that will tell you where the same hole is on the passenger side. There is a plug in that hole on the pass side. You must take this plug out. It is a allen head of metric size, cant remember which one. I took my cat off to do all of this.

You'll need an M12 X 1.5 adapter to put the sending unit into. The only place I was able to find this was online at Autobarn. It is made by Equus and the part number is #6848.

I copied this info for my install a while back, good luck.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That where mine is..
I also run a Cyberdyne digital,easier to read.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Silver 2000 Ram Air
Ok if you look at the driver side head in front of the first bolt on the exh manifold youll see the factory sending unit. Pretend that it (head) is turned around and that will tell you where the same hole is on the passenger side. There is a plug in that hole on the pass side. You must take this plug out. It is a allen head of metric size, cant remember which one. I took my cat off to do all of this.

You'll need an M12 X 1.5 adapter to put the sending unit into. The only place I was able to find this was online at Autobarn. It is made by Equus and the part number is #6848.

I copied this info for my install a while back, good luck.
This is the best location and don't over tighten the M12 x 1.5 adapter.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK thanks everyone for the response. I was hoping there was another location that's a little more accessible. Since I have headers, I don't know if I can get to that spot very well even from under the car. I'm thinking about tapping into the front of one of the heads. There's a freeze plug there, and also that Y-tube that feeds the throttle body.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With headers it is easier to reach that cylinder head plug from under the car.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Slowhawk, OK that's good to know. I think I'll get under there and have a look before I make a decision.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drilled/tapped a 1/8" NPT hole in the H20 pump right where the coolant comes out of the head. Had the pump off during a head install so it only took 5 min. Didn't have to mess with any adapters that way. I have a pic somewhere........
Old 03-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Well there's no way I can get to the area on the right side head where the plug is, so I'm going to tap into the water pump. My question is, which hose is the inlet and which is the outlet? The shop manual gives conflicting information. I've already drilled and taped a hole in the round area by the throttle arm, but I don't know if this will measure water leaving the engine or entering it.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK I figured it out; the water comes out of the engine through the top hose like I thought. Installed the sensor in this area of the pump, but it doesn't read much until the T-stat opens. Next I'm going to try going in one of the buble tube holes in the head; just need to drill it out bigger and tap it for 1/8" pipe thread.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

As a follow-up on this, I just completed threading the bubble tube hole in the left head for the temp sender, and it works great! The Autometer gauge tracks EFILive from 100 deg F and up now. For the other head, I just cut the mount off the bubble tube and welded the hole closed, then reinstalled it on the head to plug the hole.

I've been runing for 9 months now anyway with the bubble tube Y plugged with no problems at all. For everyone bypassing their throttle body, they could just as easily plug the bubble tube Y and dispense with the exta hoses. If you ever need to burp the cooling system, you can just loosen the mount bolts on the bubble tube.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Here's a pic:

Last edited by Cal; 03-21-2004 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Good temp sender Location?