PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with E85, HP Tuners & a NA Motor Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I can not log in to the Repository. I can use the software and credits but when I enter that information in to make an account it deny's me. Thats why I wrote HP Tuners asking for help with the issue.

So again I can NOT get into the repository.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

So any thoughts from anyone else I have not heard anything. I have added to the main post some direct questions with the others.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been running E85 for a few years now in my mild heads/cam LT1. E85 does NOT like cold starts, it will run rough and rich until it warms up, and it will run cooler in general as well. I had to switch back to a stock 185* t-stat because the 160* t-stat that I used with gas was too cold, the engine wouldn't get warm enough. Also, for WOT N/A tuning, it is best to run around .80-.82 lambda, or 11.6-12.0 on a gas A/F gauge. It can actually run richer and not have power drop off as quickly as gasoline does, it is less sensitive to small A/F changes than gasoline as well. Timing wise it like similar to gasoline for a mild setup such as yours, where you gain power is on a high compression or high boost build because you won't have to back down the timing to compensate for the high CR or boost, thus making more power. Cruising timing it actually likes a few degrees lower than is optimal for gas, but you will have to do some timing adjustment for your own setup, adjust timing until you get the highest vacuum(low map) at cruise.
As far as HP Tuners, leave your stoich value at the 9.78, then tune everything else from there. Get a wideband and try adjusting your Open Loop tables to help with cold running.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you great to find another N/A vehicle even if an LT1.

So you found that leaning out WOT did not net any gains then, darn I was hoping it would as I do remember when playing with it only using a hand held it really pulled like a raped ape up top but was running leaner than I wanted. After the tune that went away. Thats why I thought there may be a safer yet leaner AFR up top that I could gain from.

I finally found the Primary VE table... over looked it 3 or 4 times its quite obvious... oh well now to find the cruise area's in my log and make a few changes.

Has anyone played with that stall prevention section I noticed it was turned off.

Ok the more I look at the logs now knowing where this table is the more I question changing it. As I think about prior tuning and what I believe I understand about this PCM. If I change the VE table thats not going to get me the results I want as even leaning it out there the ECU is just going to pull it back (Atleast during cruise I have been told at WOT the PCM ignores the O2's it seems so there I should be able to change it right?) in correction.
There should be an AFR table I can adjust or atleast there always was with Megasquirt/Tuner Studio. What is the equivalent here?

Last edited by Cross; 11-11-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
Thank you great to find another N/A vehicle even if an LT1.

So you found that leaning out WOT did not net any gains then, darn I was hoping it would as I do remember when playing with it only using a hand held it really pulled like a raped ape up top but was running leaner than I wanted. After the tune that went away. Thats why I thought there may be a safer yet leaner AFR up top that I could gain from.
I haven't dynoed my car yet, but I run an LM1 anytime that I am driving to monitor A/F. From other forums and racers that have tuned extensively on E85, they say that E85 can go richer without losing much power, so you can tune in a little safety there as too lean can cause knock, even though it's harder for E85. One reason that E85 can go richer is because it is an oxygenated fuel, so it doesn't need as much oxygen from air as gas does, thus the richer stoich burning ratio. Since it is NA and not too high compression, I would tune towards .82 lambda (or 12.0 on a gas A/F meter) at WOT as an initial target. Cold starts and rough running cold is just something to get used to with E85, it's just how the fuel is. As far as carbon on the tailpipe, it is going to happen with E85 as well, it has carbon in it's composition, but it just won't smoke black rich as bad as rich gas will.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Wow someone actually looked at the spark tables and holy hell... I did not look because I believed that had to be handled but it looks like a damn brick wall... great.

Quick Reply: Need Help with E85, HP Tuners & a NA Motor Tune