PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a new computer, do I need dealer flash before LS1Edit???

Old 03-11-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new computer, do I need dealer flash before LS1Edit???

What the title says, I'm picking up a new computer for my car. I have the old file from my original computer that we read can I flash the new computer with this file or does the dealer need to flash it once with my vin number first? Anybody have experience with this?

-Sly
Old 03-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Ok this is just from an experience i just had with a customer that uses edit.

When I do tuning I sometimes wipe the computer and put in a fresh GM file. One of my customers was no longer able to use LS1 Edit because LS1 Edit is not VIN specific but PCM specific. So 2 computers with the same VIN does not mean you can use Edit with both of them. They told him it is $200 to add an add'l PCM to his cable.

But to answer your question, yes you will need the dealer to flash the PCM with the factory GM file before using it. It only comes with boot information to allow it to be flashed.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool thanks for the info that's exactly what I was looking for.

-Sly
Old 03-11-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

Originally Posted by Mike Morgan
Ok this is just from an experience i just had with a customer that uses edit.

When I do tuning I sometimes wipe the computer and put in a fresh GM file. One of my customers was no longer able to use LS1 Edit because LS1 Edit is not VIN specific but PCM specific. So 2 computers with the same VIN does not mean you can use Edit with both of them. They told him it is $200 to add an add'l PCM to his cable.

But to answer your question, yes you will need the dealer to flash the PCM with the factory GM file before using it. It only comes with boot information to allow it to be flashed.
-----------------
But the PCMs can be cloned,
I have one, and only 1 vin on my cable and can edit both with the same cable and edit files.
Can also interchange cloned PCMs with no set up via Tech II.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

We have the factory file that LS1Edit pulled off of the stock computer, will this not work?? Does the dealer have something different that they flash onto the computer?

-Sly
Old 03-11-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

First your Edit Dongle is married to your old PCM if you only had one license.

Second when I purchased a new PCM from the dealer it didn't come with any programming. So you'll have to have the dealer flash it for you.

Third Your Edit file is not a complete flash and you can't restore a file with Edit.

Good luck
Old 03-11-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx, that helps, I had a shop tune my car and ended up frying the computer then they gave me a temp computer out of a 2000 SS M6, they flashed the A4 file over it and it worked fine for now just now they can't connect to the computer with edit to further tune it.

-Sly

Search this Thread