PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner scaner, what can I scan on a Gen 3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default HP Tuner scaner, what can I scan on a Gen 3?

I've currently got a generic OBD2 scanner and Jet DST tuner. Not real happy with either so I've been giving serious thoughts to upgrading

I am planning on using it for a 2004 LQ4 swapped into an old 71 Land Cruiser. Nothing special about it except for the Hooker center dump headers and no cats. My goal is to squeak a little extra power/mpg out of it.

The one thing I wasn't clear on was what type of GM specific information can be scanned. Can I learn what each injector and coil status?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil'John
I've currently got a generic OBD2 scanner and Jet DST tuner. Not real happy with either so I've been giving serious thoughts to upgrading

I am planning on using it for a 2004 LQ4 swapped into an old 71 Land Cruiser. Nothing special about it except for the Hooker center dump headers and no cats. My goal is to squeak a little extra power/mpg out of it.

The one thing I wasn't clear on was what type of GM specific information can be scanned. Can I learn what each injector and coil status?

what brand and model scanner?

I havent used the jet tuner but I have the tunercat side which from what I understand is the same just jet vin locked the tuner when the bought it.

it is a good tuner but not as user friendly such as efilive which I also have and really like. both have benefits over the other

http://www.monodax.com/forums/
is the support forum and they can answer questions for you. its a much lower traffic board though so it takes longer
Old 12-03-2011, 05:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There are roughly 220 pids you can scan on gen 3's with our software everything from knock retard, burst knock, knock learn factor, maf(hz), individual cyl misfires, etc.

You can download the demos software from our home page at www.hptuners.com
Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
what brand and model scanner?

I havent used the jet tuner but I have the tunercat side which from what I understand is the same just jet vin locked the tuner when the bought it.

it is a good tuner but not as user friendly such as efilive which I also have and really like. both have benefits over the other

http://www.monodax.com/forums/
is the support forum and they can answer questions for you. its a much lower traffic board though so it takes longer
I wish I could remember the name of the scanner. It provided some VERY generic software that would pull error codes and the "generic" ODB2 information such as temp, speed, rpm... it did not provide any ability to pull GM specific PID information such as specific coil information.

While theoretically possible to use the scanner hardware I bought and "hack" some software together, without knowing what the GM PIDs are, it is a losing battle... I took a long look around the internet looking for GM PIDs and basically what I found was you had to pay GM a good chunk of money to get them legally

I think my "big" problem with the Jet DST is the lack of support by Jet. It basically is a "thank you for your money now go to hell" type support system from them. Which if I would have known that when I bought it, I would have spent the extra ~$100 and gone with HP tuners or EFI live.

The other issue I have with Jet is the individual license setup. Basically $100 per vehicle and no chance of going by a model year or gen 3, etc.

Of course, the biggest annoyance I have with any of the tuner hardware is they all come with a serial port and I haven't seen a serial ported laptop in MANY years And of course, no "small" USB to serial adapters. So you basically end up with 8 foot of "serial" cable.

foff667,
I played with the Tuner demo which is part of the reason I'm eye balling it. Didn't pay attention to the scanner part though
Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HP Tuners is USB and has been for a long time, I'd be screwed if it wasn't.

I can log while I drive with only the cable then look at the logs once I get to my laptop or bring the laptop along and watch (and record) it live.

They also have great support and a forum with all sorts of useful information.