PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok I got an Innovative wideband, now what's the easiest/cheapest way to tune the a/f?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok I got an Innovative wideband, now what's the easiest/cheapest way to tune the a/f?

I picked up an innovative wideband unit for a good price and I was wondering what the cheapest or easiest route to tuning the a/f would be. I was thinking about getting the hp tuners but I already have lifetime tuning at MTI so i don't know if it's worth it. Should i get a MAF translator? I don't have a-tap or edit or anything, should i get a-tap to log it with or something or is it possible to just tune by the readouts on the innovative unit?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

MAFT is a waste of money. I would go with HP Tuner. It includes a scanner like AutoTap.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why is it a waste of money?? I have came to the conclusion that i need a scanner so when i get one i can read all the pertinent info. and adjust it with the maft couldn't i w/o spending the extra $$ on an editing program that i have no idea how to use. I am a newbie to tuning so if someone could explain this thing to me i would appreciate it. i am going to be spraying n20 in the future sometime to if that matters.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can only speak from my personal experience. I had one about a year ago and found that it actually lost power (tested on the dyno). Could mine have been defective? Yes. A fluke? Yes. But this is what I saw so I sold it right away and got LS1 Edit and haven't looked back. HP Tuners is out now and looks like a great product. I'd go for it. DiabloSport Predator is probably easier to use and would be able to do what you want.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok. I still don't see how the maft can be bad if you are reading the results (l-trims i guess) in a scanner. But i don't really even know what I'm talking about with l-trims or how exactly the maft works so I could be missing something.

Also, what all should i get to accessorize my innovative wb? I went to their site and saw the rpm converter and exhaust clamp... I don't really know what any of that does but it looks/sounds useful. As you can tell I'm just starting off with this stuff and need all the help i can get.

I would go ahead and get the hp tuner for the little extra over the predator if that's my only choice but i would still prefer the cheapo way out if it will work good for me (maft).

thanks