Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Edit crashed - PCM gone!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Edit crashed - PCM gone!

I tried to reprogram my car with LS1 Edit to set in the gears and the programmer had problems connecting. It would program then stop, then restart again. It did this numerous times then stopped for good and the program logged out. Now the car will not start! I think the PCM is fried now. I have emailed Cartputing about, so I hope they will help out. I've only had the cables for two months. Can I get it reflashed at the dealer?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can get it reflashed st the dealer. When programming, make sure you have a full charge in both the laptop battery and your car battery.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Talked with the dearler and I would have bring the car in as well. I don't know if that is worth it cause the tow people here will tear the car all to hell getting it there. Have yet to hear from Carputing. I have sent them a fax as well. I had full charge, but the program crashed. Not much you can do for that.

I wish Carputing would hurry up and get back to me!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xerxes
Talked with the dearler and I would have bring the car in as well. I don't know if that is worth it cause the tow people here will tear the car all to hell getting it there. Have yet to hear from Carputing. I have sent them a fax as well. I had full charge, but the program crashed. Not much you can do for that.

I wish Carputing would hurry up and get back to me!
i went through 2 computers and the 3rd one is fried in the car right now. Any little hick up with the laptop and your done. I had one get erased becase the little help menu poped up. I had my car towed to the dealler ship ($80 dollars) and 3 scratechs latter they tell me i need a new computer. They said they could not vin flash it. So I towed it to another shop ($60) , Guess what they could not do it either. Take my advice and just send your computer to some one to try and re-flash it. Good luck.

forgot to mention. each dealership told me on the phone they could do it!!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96SCTA
i went through 2 computers and the 3rd one is fried in the car right now. Any little hick up with the laptop and your done. I had one get erased becase the little help menu poped up. I had my car towed to the dealler ship ($80 dollars) and 3 scratechs latter they tell me i need a new computer. They said they could not vin flash it. So I towed it to another shop ($60) , Guess what they could not do it either. Take my advice and just send your computer to some one to try and re-flash it. Good luck.

forgot to mention. each dealership told me on the phone they could do it!!

Do you know of anyone I can send the PCM to so they can reflash it?
Old 03-16-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can not remember who does that. I Just keept buying replacements. They are like 225 with a program in them already. (PCMSFORLESS.COM) I was researching and trying to load the data in the 2 chips my self but i was un success full. So i gave up the hole project in the middle of the winter. And now im just going with a fast system.
There is someone who does it. He has his own web site where you can buy new chips and such from him. Ill try and see if i can find it for you tonight.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

John @ Speartech can do it. ---->
Old 03-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Launching!

96SCTA, thanks for that website! I'm sure it will come in handy.

Reboot, thanks for the info! I have emailed John and asked him.

I am also talking to Ken Kelly @ Carputing. Surely something will be worked out.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried to reprogram my car with LS1 Edit to set in the gears and the programmer had problems connecting. It would program then stop, then restart again. It did this numerous times then stopped for good and the program logged out. Now the car will not start! I think the PCM is fried now. I have emailed Cartputing about, so I hope they will help out. I've only had the cables for two months. Can I get it reflashed at the dealer?
I am 2 for 2 using Edit via the OBD II port , since got a bench harness and no more problems !!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Looks like Ken came thru! Here is the email I got from him:

I have PCM's for Sale. It would be $200 for a new PCM, but your cable is
still locked to the old one.

If you send me your cable and PCM, If the PCM can be recovered, It would
be $50 Plus shipping, If it can't be recovered, It would be $200 for a
PCM reflashed for your car, and I will reset the Cable to use with it.

So, if I'm luckly $50 bucks will take care if it. At the worse, $200.00 and he will reset the cables free. I fell better now
Old 03-17-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Ken is a good guy. I had my computer replaced (Non LS1 edit issue) and I had to send my cable back to him. He got it back to me quickly and I was up and editing again. I also had to send the cable back to him to add another license for my friends car and he included the updated software for me also. He may not have a public phone number (I dont blame him) but he responds to e-mails quickly.

What hardware are you using? I have an old pentium 200 notebook with a serial port built in (I dont trust the usb adapters) running NT 4.0 with all the unneeded services stripped out of it.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Hi,
if you send your PCM over to me I will flash it with my SPS reprogramming GM tool and see if it will revive it for you. I have had many dead LS1 PCM's come back to life with my SPS. I will do it for you for just $15 for shipping. If it is dead I sell PCM's for $125 with your vin number in it and you then they can update your LS1 edit cable. Even with the vin changed there is a serial number in the PCM that LS1 edit looks for.
Later,
Bryan
Old 03-17-2004, 09:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Wow, thats a great deal!
Old 03-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Magnus
Wow, thats a great deal!
Just trying to help out a guy on the board get going again. Hopefully the reflash with the SPS tool with revive the PCM for him.
Normally I charge around $50 to change a vin in a PCM and change the base flash in a PCM. I also charge around the same to reset hypertech units for guys that forget to remove the tuning before they sell them
How's the software coming Magnus? I'm looking forward to some of the products you will be coming with soon that I can't get now from anyone else. Can I beg for Caddy Northstars again?
Later,
Bryan
Old 03-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Launching!

9T9BlueTA - I'm running Windows XP on a Compaq with an AMD chipset. It's only a year old.

Bryan - Man I aready sent the PCM to Ken. He is going to take care of it. Had I seen this soon, I would have taken you up on the offer. But thanks for the offer. It's great to know there are people out there like yourself that what to help others when they need it. If this happend again, I will be giving both you and Keith a call.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Launching!

No problem, that is what we are here for. If I wasn't willing to share some of my hardware and software abilities with the guys that help me make this business work I would be just another Ed...... er... I mean certain tuner that has fallen out of favor due to his attitude
Old 03-20-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where does one get a bench harness?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Where does one get a bench harness?
try here - http://www.speartech.com
Old 03-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Launching!