Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley dominator efi ,any good???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 73metalman
I know this is kind of an old thread but I'd like to add a tidbit. Something people forget is a stock PCM is designed to fluctuate the AFR up and down a bit. It will run rich for a little bit to fuel up the cat. converter, then lean out to save gas, and the heated up converter will convert the lean CO to CO2. I think..... Running the Holley EFI, it's going to fuel directly to whatever AFR you set it too. Something to keep in mind.

you have it quite wrong....

the stock PCM doesnt work "that" way
it will look at the o2 voltage and swing the fuel back and forth in an attempt to center itself around stoich all the time...
this is constant at part throttle....its also what we know as Fuel trims...
Long term to be remembered as a Coarse adjustment, and Short term to be a fine constant adjustment

Cat over temp is just a math equation to add more fuel in certain circumstances

it doesnt try to "lean it out" ever.... even Displacement on demand doesnt run lean...
lean cruise which was on some Australian cars, was done away with because it just doesnt work enough to justify the emissions it creates, and it was never used legally in the USA

the Holley EFI does correct to whatever you set it to....
but its still doing the exact same thing...
the difference is the terminology
Learned fuel table = LTFT
Closed loop Compensation = STFT

and the Holley ecm responds 1000x per second..way faster than the GM pcm
the 98-02 LS1 pcm's were only responding every 12.5ms = 80x per second for fuel correction
which is still plenty fast enough for most applications...
the problem was the amounts in which the pcm corrects and how far it has to go before it swings the other direction again...
Old 11-02-2012, 02:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
the "Dyno Tune" is not needed... you can run your spark on the safe side of things and it will auto correct the fuel to where ever you tell it to be at...
usually LS motors like to see 13.0 ish Naturally aspirated at WOT to make power give or take a couple of points of AFR setup dependent...

all the dyno will do is allow you to find the ideal values for your car to make the most power...which could also be the ragged edge depending on the tuner you go to..

its better to just do a couple of runs at the track... and pull the plugs each run.
keep adding spark until it stops going any faster MPH, then back it down a degree or two for safety
play with Air fuel till the plugs clean up and again... MPH stops increasing....

dont rely on ET as every little thing will effect that, but MPH will be consistent even with various track ET's
Couldn't agree more. I recently got my car running with a 5.3, MS3 cam, LS6 intake on E85 with a Holley HP. I used the stock LS1 tune with some adjustments to the base fuel table for the E85 and timing left conservative. Just normal drive it corrected the A/F ratio real quick in closed loop. A couple of short WOT pulls and it corrected just as fast. Then this past week we got some E85 that actually tested 78% ethanol and my A/F at open loop was extremely rich. Within a few seconds of closed loop it was corrected back to my target. Very impressive how well it works. I have access to a dyno but will probably just do my tuning/testing at the track.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

order mine and cant wait to see how this work with my new setup ,
but really wondering about how to make the cooling fan work and the rest of stock wiring and relays , even the ignition harness thats came with holley kit showen there is only one connector of coil ignition and for the LS engine we need two ???
if any guys have some pic of installing his kit , this will help to understand easily
Old 11-05-2012, 08:46 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by same o'j
order mine and cant wait to see how this work with my new setup ,
but really wondering about how to make the cooling fan work and the rest of stock wiring and relays , even the ignition harness thats came with holley kit showen there is only one connector of coil ignition and for the LS engine we need two ???
if any guys have some pic of installing his kit , this will help to understand easily
GM makes everything hot all the time, and adds a ground to turn on the device...

so fans, all you need to do is tell the Holley to use a ground to activate it and then wire into the correct wires

the Holley Ignition for LS1 is 2 ignition coil connectors, just like stock
if you only have one connector, it is likely that you ordered the wrong harness
Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default great info

Very informative thread! Thanks

I run a BigStuff 3 in My Typhoon with great success how ever it took a lot of passes to get it there. It will auto correct for fueling but it wont save it to your fuel map. You have to data log your *** of and look a the the logs and trim you high and low spots manually. I was researching switching to the dominator set up for my new engine shooting for 1300 hpV6.

anybody know if you can run a racpack dash with it.!?

Ive also just bought my first ls car. 2000 TA with a DSC1. The car was built in 2006 so im sure its dated a bit. Cartek built the hole car and im sure they tuned it with HP tuners. It appers to run ok I haven't been to the track but I might swap out the stock ecm and go with a Holly setup.

Im very interested in some of the members experience with the hole process of there first start ups and outcomes. Keep it coming.

Last edited by autoaddictions; 05-24-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Teching In

Yes, the Racepak dash connection is a fairly recent addition due to overwhelming requests.

If you have specific questions...I'll be happy to help answer.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First start go well the base tunes have got the 3 I have installed running with no issues. Warm it up let it do a little closed loop so it is not going to stall when It comes to a stop then just take it out and drive it.

On my car we added 25% to the whole map and it was very close reved it 6000 one time then made passes. 2% within 3 passes.

dads car he drove it for a month before I even looked at the learn table.

Tim
Old 05-26-2013, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a great read on another forum of guys using windows based tablets to control there holley efi instead of the Holley touch screen..
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=559816
Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dennis, is the Racepak plug and play with the holley?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1PUNK
Dennis, is the Racepak plug and play with the holley?
I'm not dennis...but..

Basically, yes....
you need the Can bus to vnet adapter that holley now makes and sells
and you get 22 channels of Holley data that can be read by the racepak...
and you can select which 22 channels you want to log.
there are 2 can bus outputs on the Holley, one on J1a and one on J3a
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I'm not dennis...but..

Basically, yes....
you need the Can bus to vnet adapter that holley now makes and sells
and you get 22 channels of Holley data that can be read by the racepak...
and you can select which 22 channels you want to log.
there are 2 can bus outputs on the Holley, one on J1a and one on J3a
Cool, thanks Scott.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

There a write up anywhere about setting up the stock ecu with resistors just to pass emissions?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Default OBD2 Info

Originally Posted by 4bangermustang
There a write up anywhere about setting up the stock ecu with resistors just to pass emissions?
Bump because I have the same question
Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

After reading through this thread and a couple others im going to sell my current PSI harness, ECM and 4L80E computers(Not because the PSI harness isn't nice because it is but because id rather just have everything holly). Does anyone know of any vendors here on the board that would be good to talk to about setting up my kit? I have a LY6/4L80E boosted set up i want to put into my grand national. If anyone has suggestions please let me know!

Thanks
Toyin
Old 03-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Go to Holley's website and look at the instructions; it will give you tons of insight.
I just was looking at the instructions for the Holley EFI Digital Dash....amazing.

Quick Reply: Holley dominator efi ,any good???