Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default VATS need help!

My key on an ohm reader shows 0.88 so I assume my key is number 4 of the 15. Radioshack gave me a 1kohm with 1/4 watt resistor and the car won't do ****. How can I be more specific on getting the right ohm resistor? What does the watts mean in relevance to the ohms? Also I replaced my steering column is the reason I need to do this. I ordered a M6 column off ebay but was sent a auto column. Will this make a difference other than the new switch having no removal button? Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

887 ohms is the nominal value for your key. The lowest value you can use is 852 ohms and the highest value you can use is 942 ohms. A 1K ohm resister is 1000 ohms. Wattage has no effect on ohms. Just how much current you can run through it before it smokes and burns up. 1/4 watt or even 1/8 watt should be fine for bypassing VATS. You can connect smaller value resistors together in series until you get the value you need. R1 + R2 + R3 = total. There is a formula for parallel resistors but it is going to be easier for you to use the series resistor method. There are some real good write ups on shbox.com on bypassing VATS.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using a gold band resistor?
Did you read the ohms on the white wires to see if they match up?
Definitely use a series of resistors. Don't use one.
Also, did you try re-installing the resistor a few times? Or stick it in through the front?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

I called another radioshack and they said the smallest thing they had was a 1k. I did find a part number though for a 500 piece assortment of resistors for 12 bucks. part number 271-312 at radioshack. I'm going to see if they have that. Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Check what the tolerances are on the resistors. 10% is too much. I believe the gold band are 5%. But then, there are issues with the resistors as well. You can go into radioshack and check a whole box of the same size and get only a few that read the same.

You'll have better luck with the gold band resistors though.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

See if you can find a 1K or even better a 2K pot (potentiometer, variable resistor) It will have a small screw in it that you adjust with an ohm meter connected. When you get it set put a small dab of epoxy on the screw so it doesn't move and you will have the exact resistance you need.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Do you have a local tuner that can disable the VATs for you? If not find a mail order tune to disable it. Ebay, look at custom tuned pcm's I have done some for what you are wanting if the resister doesn't work out right. Ur best bet would be to find a local tuner tho. 15 secs and you good as gold.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

So I got the right resistor and stuck it in the car last night. It fired right up. Well I tried to turn the car off to see if it would start back and it wouldn't. Well I pushed on the resistor and it fired back up. Well I come inside and decide to finish it tomorrow. So today I peeled the wires back wrapped the resistor around the wires planning to tape around it and it won't start. No matter what. I even pushed it back into the plug in and it still won't start. What could be wrong ? My security light flashes while the key is on and will stay on while you try to crank the car and while its off. I just unhooked the battery. I just don't understand.

Quick Reply: VATS need help!