Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Important LS1 HP Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 05:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Some Important LS1 HP Tuner Questions

I am currently an LS1 Edit owner and will just stick with that since I already paid for it.

The reason I am going to ask some questions is for other people in our car club that needs a tuning program. Seems like a good program, very similar to LS1 Edit IMHO.

Exactly what does this mean, I just need clairifcation:

VCM Suite Standard which supports 1-2 vehicles and VCM Suite Pro which supports 3 or more vehicles. Each vehicle type you purchase will allow you to reprogram any number of vehicles of that model and year. You are only "locked" to the model/years that you purchase.
So if there are 1 or more people with 2000 Model T/As and 1 or more people with 2000 Model Camaro's, there is no limit on the number of cars for that cable/software but it is limited to only a certain year that was purchased.

In a way, it's great and it sucks at the same time for what your paying.

If you have 3 guys that needs a tuning program and the have 3 different years of cars, say 1999, 2000, 2001, They would all have to spend $499 each, which is way more than LS1 Edit.

It also says on there site:

Each software copy is locked to its cable.
You can not use your software/cable with someone elses software/cable package. If you purchase several different standard packages, each software install must be used with the cable it came with.
So does this mean every owner has to own his own laptop? If that's the case, not everyone can afford a laptop too. With LS1 Edit, I use my laptop and software but I use other peoples cable to program there cars.

In our car club, there are 3 guys that want to get a programmer for their LS1 cars, but that don't own a laptop. If they buy the HP Tuner programmer, they will have to all buy their own laptops won't they?

I know Carputing and HP Tuners have the market cornered, but if HP Tuners could have at least 2 model years on one cable for the same price, that would be awesome.

Also, does it come with a tuning guide or manual?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Last edited by Billiumss; 03-20-2004 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can install 3 copies of one program on a pc dude.
or you can get the pro-license and have 3 years on one cable.

unlike ls1edit, when you have 3 years you can tune 1000's of fbodies, for a fraction of the price. That 1000's could be 10000's if you do mail order. If you charged $25 for each tune, 100 cars, i think you'd have your pro license covered eh?

100 * 25 = 3 year model pro license.

hmm
Old 03-20-2004, 04:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bill, I hope to answer all your questions....

If you purchase VCM Suite Standard for a 2000 V8 F-body, there is no limit to the # of 2000 V8 f-bodies you can tune.

If you have 3 guys, all with individual vehicles of different types, perhaps it may be more in their interest to purchase their own cable. One of the thigns we offer is an all-in-one package with scan tool capabilities as well. We'd like to give you all the tools you need to successfully tune your vehicle using 1 product.

If you wish to use the same laptop for multiple cables, you must install each software that came with the cable first. Software install takes less than a minute. Insert the CD and it will autorun for you.

Yes, we do provide you with a manual as well.

If you are doing the tuning for your buddies, you may like this info.. It takes 2 minutes on average to read the LS1 F-body PCM's and just under 30 seconds to write them.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Also, just to give you a little more info on our product that you might be able to appreciate.

As I type this, and throughout the day I have been constantly reading/writing PCM's as I work.. During the read/write process I am photoshopping, compiling software and browsing the web.. I have yet to have 1 single error this entire time. Our product is pretty solid. While we do not recomend such activity during reading/writing, it just gives you an idea of how powerful our product really is.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sent a PM to ya Keith....
Old 03-20-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

One more question. Can you explain the difference between the standard and Pro? I know what is listed on your site I was just wondering what benefit there is to "entire VCM/PCM image reflashing". What can that offer a person who tunes a car for simple H/C packages or N2O applications? I am not saying that I would ever need such capabilities I was just curios about the difference it could have on tuning.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Taken directly from our help manual:

Write is standard and pro option
Rewrite is pro only option

-------- Write VCM - Rewrite Entire VCM
Writes: Calibration Only - Entire VCM
Modify VIN: No - Yes
VCM Recovery: Yes - Yes & No
Change OS: No - Yes
Est. 512KB Time: 27 seconds - 120 Seconds
Est. 1MB Time: 54 seconds - 240 Seconds

When should I use Rewrite Entire VCM: Most tunes should be done using the standard VCM Write feature for safety. The only times you would need to use the Entire VCM Write feature is if you have updated the VIN of the VCM (for mail order tunes), or are updating the software on the VCM to a new operating system. For example, using a Corvette VCM with electronic throttle in a Firebird that has cable driven throttle body.