Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guage cluster is possessed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guage cluster is possessed!

I had a tach, A/F, oil pres, and water temp installed in my air vents on my trans am. well oil pres is mechanical, and rest are electric. it was great at first, but now its starting to go haywire! last year i was drivin around and my radio shut off, all the guages bounced from one side to another, and all the lights (service engine, tcs, etc..) came on and then shut off. kinda resembled how our cars look when we first start them. i will also feel a little shutter under the brake peddle when i do this. so i took it back the place where i had it done and they "fixed it." well when i got it back this is what started to happen.....i would start the car and the guages would go all the way to one side, go to shut off position, then level out at appropriate levels. WTF! is going on. and when im drivin the car does this **** where all the codes come on and **** goes bananas! I am thinkning that there is a short or the oil line into the car is leakin onto something. please! any suggestions would be fantastic!!

TIA! J
Old 03-21-2004, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt...
Old 03-21-2004, 12:06 PM
wrencher

Wow if they installed it they need to do some investigating, obviously something is not wired right.
Unfortunately there is no easy simple fix here & that problem will have to be found, cause quite a few things can cause problems like this.
The first thing I'd be looking for is what was spliced into for the aftermarket gauges & the IPC & PCM grounds.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

yikes!!! ttt
Old 03-22-2004, 12:23 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bad ground connection to the Gauge processor in the instrument cluster, or even to the PCM itself. If they spliced into a ground somewhere to install the new gauges and just loosly twisted the wires together, this could happen. The wires should be tightly twisted then soldered and insulated with heat-shrink tubing. I agree it probably has something to do with the gauge install.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I also agree, verify your grounds.