Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning a 98 Z with HP tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tuning a 98 Z with HP tuner

I am getting my Z tuned tomorrow by a local that supposedly uses hp tuner. Anyways my car is basically a bolt on car w/o cats but I need to pass emissions also. I found a place that has 'bad eyesite' but the SES light is on. Does hp tuners tune out or delete the corresponding codes but still allow the obd II flags to show ok and ready? I guess when they plug into the obd port a minimum of 3 run test have to show 'ready and pass' or something along those lines-if that makes sense.
The only reason I am getting it tuned at this moment is to shut off the ses light but I don't want to spend the $$ if it still won't pass the emisson plug in test. Can anyone shed some light on this? I am not real familiar on how this works...

PS: what is the dtc code for no cat converters?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your tuner is any good, he should be able to set it up no problem.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool thanks for the reply. Well I am on hold for a tune for awhile longer. We were setting it up and he showed me the initial data screen before making adjustments and said the car must be running rich because one of the sensors was reading '12' ? Then when he went to download the data an error came up saing a 'definition' was not allowing to access or change the tune. He said it wasn't locked but couldn't access the pcm data to change it. The guy came highly recommended by many f-body and vette guys so he knows what he is doing. I am just trying to either help him or get an idea what's going on. Like I said I am not real familiar with the pcm tuning thing. Any ideas?