Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD tune(NY MEMBERS PLEASE READ)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD tune(NY MEMBERS PLEASE READ)

hey guys so i am running a SD tune with my car and it has no o2 sensors hooked up. I have no CEL or anything the car runs perfect. Now my buddy will be inspecting it so the visual aspect of the inspection does not matter. NY is a pain in the ***, so I am wondering if anyone else in NY has a SD tune on their car and has passed inspection.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Teching In

In NY you can have 1 monitor not ready, but the rest must be ready. Meet that requirement and don't have any check engine lights and you're good, even in SD.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the info. hopefully the monitors are good, i have no CEL so I'm hoping for the best
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

as long as no cel is on your good , and no 02s i assume are the rears. Sd or maf tune as long as your cel is off your good to go . And your in Albany i work in Albany and live in Amsterdam . We need to meet up sometime . Bro as a 00 hawk and my dad has a 77 ta .

Who did you tune, im going to capolla to have a re-tune done in a few months.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
as long as no cel is on your good , and no 02s i assume are the rears. Sd or maf tune as long as your cel is off your good to go . And your in Albany i work in Albany and live in Amsterdam . We need to meet up sometime . Bro as a 00 hawk and my dad has a 77 ta .

Who did you tune, im going to capolla to have a re-tune done in a few months.
i just got the car a few weeks ago its not even on the road yet, ive been getting more info on the SD tune, previous owner says none of the o2s are hooked up including the fronts located on headers. but yes no CEL whatsoever and it runs perfect. Yeah deff, I have a few buddys with fbodys in the area. My buddy just had tony capolla tune his 00 ws6 a few weeks ago. seems like a good guy, he came from redline correct? The car came from KY, id have to ask who did the tune.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

if your rear o2s are not hooked up it will throw one , has it been driven i think 50 miles to give a chance for the sensors to check out .

He didnt come from redline .
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mikh338
i just got the car a few weeks ago its not even on the road yet, ive been getting more info on the SD tune, previous owner says none of the o2s are hooked up including the fronts located on headers. but yes no CEL whatsoever and it runs perfect. Yeah deff, I have a few buddys with fbodys in the area. My buddy just had tony capolla tune his 00 ws6 a few weeks ago. seems like a good guy, he came from redline correct? The car came from KY, id have to ask who did the tune.
If the front O2s aren't hooked up then it's running in open loop. I would get them connected and operational. Closed loop would be preferred for a street car especially.

Next I would try to have someone pull the tune off of the car to see what was done. Depending on the tuning software that was used (and the practices of the tuner) the PCM could be locked.

The bottom line is that it can pass the OBD2 NYSI while running SD. You are allowed to have 1 system readiness test be "not ready / incomplete" and 0 emissions related (it gets a little fuzzy here) codes.

It's all in how the tune is set up. *Disclaimer - Off road use only*

The other option is to just drive it for awhile and get your hands on a scanner to keep an eye on trouble codes and the system readiness tests. Maybe you'll get lucky. There is a chance that all of this has been accounted for in the tune already. It's also possible that the CEL has just been turned off in the tune but it's still throwing codes that will fail inspection (happens more than you'd think). I do think that running the car in closed loop is a good idea though.

A conversation with the previous tuner could take out alot of the guess work.

Just my .02
Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xBRadX
If the front O2s aren't hooked up then it's running in open loop. I would get them connected and operational. Closed loop would be preferred for a street car especially.

Next I would try to have someone pull the tune off of the car to see what was done. Depending on the tuning software that was used (and the practices of the tuner) the PCM could be locked.

The bottom line is that it can pass the OBD2 NYSI while running SD. You are allowed to have 1 system readiness test be "not ready / incomplete" and 0 emissions related (it gets a little fuzzy here) codes.

It's all in how the tune is set up. *Disclaimer - Off road use only*

The other option is to just drive it for awhile and get your hands on a scanner to keep an eye on trouble codes and the system readiness tests. Maybe you'll get lucky. There is a chance that all of this has been accounted for in the tune already. It's also possible that the CEL has just been turned off in the tune but it's still throwing codes that will fail inspection (happens more than you'd think). I do think that running the car in closed loop is a good idea though.

A conversation with the previous tuner could take out alot of the guess work.

Just my .02
well this is very good info it seems. i drove it home 800 miles last week from KY where I bought it. I am going to try to get in contact with the tuner in KY.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

just to give an update, i put the car on the road today and took it to get it inspected. passed NYSI on the first try, not throwing any codes at all even with no maf or o2's hooked up. i was very suprised none the less.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

That's good news.

Just keep in mind that if you decide to reconnect the front O2 sensors, the tune will need to be addressed to enable closed loop operation.

If you plan to leave the car in open loop I would recommend a periodic check of the AFR using a wideband O2 just for peace of mind.

Nice ride BTW. Those wheels look good on that car.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xBRadX
That's good news.

Just keep in mind that if you decide to reconnect the front O2 sensors, the tune will need to be addressed to enable closed loop operation.

If you plan to leave the car in open loop I would recommend a periodic check of the AFR using a wideband O2 just for peace of mind.

Nice ride BTW. Those wheels look good on that car.
alright sounds good man thanks for the info, and i would like to have the afr checked soon just to be on safe side as well. thanks for the compliment, i wasnt to sure if i liked the wheels at first but now i love them!!

Quick Reply: SD tune(NY MEMBERS PLEASE READ)