Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help, Huge Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, Huge Problems!!

I drove my car today and noticed my check gauges light is on. I look at my volt gauge to see it reading 18+ volts (it was maxed out). also my ABS inop light goes on and off, My air bag light flashes, The indicator light for my high beams is now controlled by my fog light switch, and when I try to turn the brights on, my headlights go out entirely, except the DRL's. The battery cables and battery were not warm at all. If i let the car idle everything seems fine, the volts go down, and the warning lights all turn off. Also the car periodically stalls and almost dies out, if it sits idling for awhile(not always though). AND I went to shift a couple of times and the bitch stayed at 3-4K RPM. WTF is going on?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did install 2 autometer gauges (Air Fuel, and cyl head temp) a couple weeks ago but everything was fine till today. I also gave my buddys mustang (POS) a jump two days ago but nothing happened immediately after that. I did also wash my engine compartment yesterday, but I covered up all the main electrical components. PLEASE HELP ME !!!!! THANKS
Old 04-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

mine just did the same thing last night any ideas what is going on
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

That sounds like some serious voodoo. To me it sounds like the alternator is over charging and sending too much voltage to certain electronics. I'd guess fomr either the jump or washing. Have you tried a diff battery? My gauge goes higher than normal when battery is old (5+ years) and needs replacing. I do not have the voodoo you have though. Hopefully someone with some smarts chime in. If you have an extra battery swap it out just to see if it helps. Sorry I don't have more...
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get 18V+ on the dash AND can measure it with a voltmeter at the battery, your alternator regulator is shot. Mine did the same thing back last year april. Replace alternator.

I had the exact same symptoms check gauges, it would spike up, electrical went nuts tach crazy etc Stop driving like this or you will fry the PCM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Check the alt output at the alt....A simple test w/ a VOM.

Quick Reply: Please Help, Huge Problems!!