Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e will not upshift at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edub80
Unsubscribed lol... he don't listen to ppl... its no use in trying to give this guy advise.... I say sell the car man.... trans is fd up..... tune is fd up... just sell it... I will give you 500 for it
Wow you're a smart one aren't you?

Since you're so smart how about answering this question for me?
Originally Posted by Black98T/A
how does it being the tune explain the fact the speedometer was correct and the wot shift occurred for almost 2 years with a tune then all of a sudden didn't? How can the tables be right then all of a sudden aren't? Then retuned to correct problem and doesn't?Then a stock untuned pcm swapped and the speedometer(and wot shift) is still incorrect, and I have stock 3.23 gears.

Last edited by Black98T/A; 04-05-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

how does it being the tune explain the fact the speedometer was correct and the wot shift occurred for almost 2 years with a tune then all of a sudden didn't? How can the tables be right then all of a sudden aren't? Then retuned to correct problem and doesn't?Then a stock untuned pcm swapped and the speedometer(and wot shift) is still incorrect, and I have stock 3.23 gears.
If this is the case, then it points to the VSS signal being incorrect... if the wiring is ok then maybe the VSS reluctor is loose.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes that is the case which is why I've been shooting down it being the tune. Hell now I even have people bashing my car...lol! I checked the wiring to the VSS it looked ok where is the VSS reluctor inside the transmission?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, inside the extension housing...

if you remove the VSS sensor, you should be able to see if the reluctor is loose/moved/misaligned/broken, poke your finger in there and wiggle the reluctor.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

i feel your pain blk98/TA. I'm having similar issues and i had a trans from performabuilt sent me out a trans from the states to italy. find out its not the trans. still trying to figure out the issue and now the car is on its way back to tx and have a professional tuner look at it. but its weird to me it was working fine and then all of sudden not. maybe the converter? but i hear the same things as its the tune. gone thru 3 transmission and one of them is a now completely different trans. this last one i did the swap and continues to do the same thing. so i hope the tuner can fix it. talk to a few trans guys and tell me its a tune. well see when the car is in tx.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00 Freak
i feel your pain blk98/TA. I'm having similar issues and i had a trans from performabuilt sent me out a trans from the states to italy. find out its not the trans. still trying to figure out the issue and now the car is on its way back to tx and have a professional tuner look at it. but its weird to me it was working fine and then all of sudden not. maybe the converter? but i hear the same things as its the tune. gone thru 3 transmission and one of them is a now completely different trans. this last one i did the swap and continues to do the same thing. so i hope the tuner can fix it. talk to a few trans guys and tell me its a tune. well see when the car is in tx.
Hey man..misery loves company. Your problem might very well be the tune. Is your speedometer off? Is the wot shift occurring 1-2? Mine doesn't. I'm 99.9 % sure why my wot shifts aren't occurring...that's because my speedo is off even after having both tuned and untuned pcm's butwhy my speedo is off is my problem.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joecar
Yes, inside the extension housing...

if you remove the VSS sensor, you should be able to see if the reluctor is loose/moved/misaligned/broken, poke your finger in there and wiggle the reluctor.
I'll check it out..I asked the trans builder the other day if the reluctor wheel inside the tranny could be the problem he said no.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

My buddies car would not shift 2-3 at wot. I have the mph values wrong in the wot shift. I swore it wasn't in the tune either because it was fine and just started on its own. New trans got put in and still same problem. It was because the engine was making more power to the converter would alow the rpms to go up and the mph wouldent catch up fast enough. Causing it to hit the limiter.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

If this is true...

Ok I have a 98 WS6 with a newly rebuilt 4l60e. The Transmission started to not upshift at WOT before the rebuild and still does it after. With a scanner Trans mechanic said the computer isn't commanding the transmission to upshift. I had the PCM tuned and the programmer said the PCM itself is faulty. Before I buy another PCM I thought I'd see if anyone has some input thanks.
Then that would point to a mechanical issue such as Joe mentions..

If this is the case, then it points to the VSS signal being incorrect... if the wiring is ok then maybe the VSS reluctor is loose.
I didn't read the entire thread, so you may have tried this already. Using the scan tool you should be able to command an upshift. This will help pinpoint the problem. Does the problem occur at part throttle as well? If not, are the shifts occuring as commanded? Any DTC's?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I posted this in my other thread in the transmission section
This is what I don't get

Oct 08-I bought car basically stock all it had done to it was a lid and Flowmaster. 3.23 gears and 315/17 tires. Speedo was correct and car shifted at WOT.

Jan 10-I have PCM mail order tuned for ls6 crate. I list car has 3.23 gears on order sheet. Speedo and WOT upshifts are correct.

Nov 10-295/18 go on in rear I notice no difference in speedo wot shift occurs

May 11-I notice trans is not shifting at WOT I don't notice speedo being off also. Transmission starts to slip and car is parked until rebuilt trans feb 12

So something caused the speedo to be off right around may of last year which caused my no upshift at wot which possibly caused my trans to go. I just remember being on the highway and passing someone and the trans not shifting and smelling something burnt and feeling the trans slip right after.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Does the problem occur at part throttle as well? If not, are the shifts occuring as commanded? Any DTC's?
No the car shifts perfect 1-2 2-3 3-4 lockup and 3/4 throttle transmission downshifts and upshifts perfect. Any WOT shifting does not occur. If I'm at a dig and floor it it will stay in 1st and hit the rev limiter, if I'm on the highway and floor it it downshifts a gear but will not upshift and hits the rev limiter. Speedometer is about 10 off under 50 and about 15 off on the highway. I've tried a retune, a stock pcm off 98 Z28 with supposed 3.23's, and a vehicle speed sensor and speedometer is still off.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just going to list a few things I've learned. I'm not saying issue is in the tune, or in the trans, just sharing some info.

#1 Stall torque converters will slip more rpm, so WOT vs MPH up-shift table is close to red line rpm before the converter, engine could start hitting rev limiter before reaching the needed MPH to let pcm command the up-shift.

#2 A change in tire size or even axle ratio will not effect the WOT upshift speed or RPM AS INDICATED on a scan tool. This is because the speed sensor is on the drive shaft. The PCM has no clue if the axle ratio or tires have changed. With small changes, this does not effect much, however, however, going from 2.73 gears to 4.10's, the engine speed will accelerate much quicker, and could get into a redline fuel cut before the up-shift occurs (this is normally on the 1-2 shift)

#3 Most shop type scan tool a fairly slow at data refresh rates. Using a laptop based such as HP Tuners, you can log data at a much faster rate, and really tell if the shift is being commanded.

#4 Valve bodies in transmissions wear out! There are a lot of replacement valves on the market and repair kits aimed at fixing drive-ability issues. A lot of the tooling required to do the repairs, and the valve kits them selves are expensive. Most small shops don't have the tools to make valve body repairs. When the trans was rebuilt, I would be asking if any valve body repair was done, or if it was even inspected. Working 7 years for a nationwide transmission reman company in quality control I learned a few things. We used specially built equipment to vacuum test every valve in the valve body, to check for wear. If the trans as 100k miles on it, I would be sure you have some worn parts in the valve body.

You might go as far as hooking up some LED's to the shift A and/or Shift B solenoid circuits going to the transmission, and observe the lights during the issue you are having.

1st Gear. A ON B ON
2nd Gear. A OFF B ON
3rd Gear. A OFF B OFF
4th Gear. A ON B OFF

Shift Solenoid A is commanded electrically ON during 1st and 4th gears.

Last edited by busta9876; 04-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

busta9876 I understand all points about the converter or valve body affecting wot upshifts but those two things will not affect my speedometer and that is my problem. 65 is showing 80mph. Like flame said
Originally Posted by flame
It takes 2 things for the pcm to command a gear change. MPH and RPM. Both must be met for a WOT shift to occur. If the speedo is off start there.
I'm going to check if the vss reluctor is loose in a little bit.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

looked at the reluctor wheel didn't look broken and felt it didn't seem loose...could the problem be in the cluster?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

looked at the reluctor wheel didn't look broken and felt it didn't seem loose...could the problem be in the cluster?
Maybe or maybe not...

you will need to connect a scantool to see what VSS reads, and compare this to the speedo on the cluster.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

I had a similar situation, it turned out to be the pump in the trans and a few other things. A pressure gauge was used to diagnose. The builder of the trans verified it on their trans dyno.

No expert by any means but it would seem to me that you should concentrate on getting your speedo corrected then go from there. Also, I know you said your APP was pretty accurate but have you had someone pace you to verify?
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spellbound
No expert by any means but it would seem to me that you should concentrate on getting your speedo corrected then go from there. Also, I know you said your APP was pretty accurate but have you had someone pace you to verify?
Yup that's what I'm now trying to do, if the trans still doesn't shift at wot with a correct speedometer which I doubt I'll go from there. I used 2 different speedo apps on my iPhone both are dead on with my 99 Corvette's speedometer. Speedo says 80 app says 65 and cars are really passing me on the highway. 30-50 range on my speedo its about 10 off. I don't know why all of sudden the speedo became pof with no change in anything.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was down in Florida last year a guy out in the Daytona area helped me out with a tune issue (which later turned out to be a lifter/cam issue). Check the Florida local board for some help.

It's probably a transmission issue though, but why not get the tune issue sorted out first so you know you've eliminated all other variables?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joecar
you will need to connect a scantool to see what VSS reads, and compare this to the speedo on the cluster.
I guess this is my next step...
Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Having same issue. I hit my rev limiter twice at the track Saturday. I went from 3:23s to 3:73s since my last tune by Frost. I tried to fix it with my predator temporary . Car still reads about 6-7 mph off. I know it's the tune since it was perfect before gear change. I hope Frost gets back to me soon so I can go racing again. I went ahead and turned my shift points down to 5800 just to be safe.

Quick Reply: 4L60e will not upshift at WOT