Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP tuner for Dummies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP tuner for Dummies?

Hey guys, I am finishing up my LS2 swap into a C3. I am in need for a tunning program and want to know if someone with no experience could learn this system pretty quickly, or is it real easy to make adjustments, that shouldn't be made, by mistake, causing huge problems.

I need it to shut off the VATS system and to monitor the sensors at the moment, Right now I want to know if the crank sensor is working, so I would like to see it's activity on the screen. I would also like to learn how to tune my own setup, but only in baby steps, so I don't blow the motor, reading and learning before I make adjustments.

Is this system meant for some one with no tuning experience?

Thanks

Riggs
Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your best bet is to buy a few books and start reading. If it starts making sense then buy the software or decide to pay someone else to tune it if you are totaly lost.

http://www.amazon.ca/Engine-Manageme.../dp/1932494421
http://www.amazon.ca/High-Perf-Fuel-...d_bxgy_b_img_b
http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail
Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through the same thing with my swap. I haven't bought any books or anything but the software is really easy to work with. If you only need to make minor changes you can pretty much look at the screen and just figure out the easy stuff like deleting VATS, MIL codes, eliminating skip shifts, ect. Depending on what you've done to your LS2, you can probably look through the repository and find a comparable tune to use. I had to use some fuel tables from a Z06 since I'm using LS3 injectors. The car runs smooth and the tune is pretty close. It could still use a good tune but to the average LS person they probably wouldn't know the difference.

Check which tuners in your area are good. If they use HP tuners go ahead and pick up the software, you wont be disappointed.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in the same boat! Even tho I ordered a PCM and a tune from Frost. Steve is great but real busy to answer simple questions. So I already instlled a wideband, and a AeroForce gauge which tells me a lot! So I see the car at WOT is locking the timing to 7.5/8.0, I know this low, other than that the car runs great. So Im going to get the Hyper tuner, and try to learn how to do things myself, he already got it great, im just going to try and turn the timing up to maybe 12. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The learning curve is very steep.

There are the simple things like skip shift, idle rpm, and fans on/off temps. Then there is logical things if you think about it like A/F ratio, timing, etc. Then there is tough things that only someone with lots of experience knows about like proportional and integral tables, virtual VE, etc.

If you are interested in learning how to tune correctly, by all means buy the books, get a wide band, and perhaps take a class. If you are only interested in getting your car tune, save yourself the time and money and have a reputable tuner do it. Especially if the motor has major mods like a supercharger, cam, heads, etc.

I bought HP Tuners 3 years ago and do it as a hobby. I have a whole lot of respect now for good tuners that have access to a dyno.

Quick Reply: HP tuner for Dummies?