Sponsored by:

5.3 Turbo First start tune...a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 Turbo First start tune...a few questions

Hello all,
I'm new to hptuners, so go easy on me! Heres the setup: 1994 camaro, 5.3/t56. JY 5.3, 224/228@114 cam, ls6 intake precision t76, 2 bar SD tune. Im running a 2001 Z28 pcm. I have greg banish's tuning dvd and have set the correct injector data for the 60lb siemens injectors as well as made a few other changes. The car runs pig rich at idle. I havent had it running long enough to scan, so im looking for a baseline tune. Ive attached what I have so far.

Whats the best way to lean out the idle afr? Any tips/pointers? Thanks everyone.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
5.3M6 Turbo 60LB Inj SD Tune.hpt (456.2 KB, 224 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a SD tune, you use the VE table to control the fueling...

Also, not sure about in HPTuners, but with EFILive, you can get to B9021 (minimum pulsewidth) - it sometimes limits the injectors and won't let you lean out the idle no matter how much you pull out of the VE...
Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting...how could I verify that this is happening? Also, when scaling the VE table, could I just highlight the entire table and multiply it by .9 to take 10% out? Then keep stepping it down until the idle afr from my wideband is where I want it? Thanks for the input.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Teching In

I have never tuned a car but have been reading a lot about it. I will be tuning my turbo GTO in a week or two with HPTuners. Hopefully someone can help you out.

From what I see your injector data is probably out of wack. The biggest thing I noticed is that your injector flow rate vs. kpa is around 10. That sounds WAY off to me. It should be closer to where your injectors are rated i.e. 60ish. Some of the other setting look a little off compaired to some other siemens 60 tunes out there.

Next your main VE looks pretty off. Everything over 85kpa kind of resets and the values drop again, that would be very bad if you get into boost. You would normally copy 105kpa line from the NA tune and copy it to the 210kpa line and multipy by some value say 125% and intpolate between the two. Values should be getting higher to compensate for the additional air flow.

Get a hold of a stock 5.3 tune and copy the main VE table over to your SD tune. Double check any other tables you may have changed and get them back to stock. Look over you injector data again, you have some issues there.

There are some good write ups on converting to a 2-bar SD tune from a stock one. Find it and follow it and hopefully that will get you in the ballpark.

Read read read and read some more. Good luck hopefully someone more knowledgable than me chimes in because I really dont know WTF I am talking about lol

Last edited by mefreema; 03-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 5.3 Turbo First start tune...a few questions