PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT an LS1, but still need some help????

Old 03-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT an LS1, but still need some help????

My wifes Grand Am is plagued with a hesitation problem. Whenever you reverse, then go to drive it will hesitate for about 1 full second, feels worse the harder you try to leave after backing up. Never fails, you reverse out of a parking spot, place in drive, and mash it, it revs for around 3/10th of a sec. then it falls on its face, still as it was in park, then bam she goes. WTF? The dealership's, yep three so far, either claim it didnt do it with them, or thats normal. I have tried it and everytime it has done this. My only thought is maybe the ETS (electronic traction switch) is hooked into some kinda of accelerometer and makes it act this way? I just thought of that so I havent tried with the ETS off yet. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 03-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Sounds to me like the trans is having a delay when switching from reverse to forward gears. What year, engine is this? I'm no expert in auto trans but i do know there is either no to small to acceptable delay when going from forward to reverse but nothing like what you describe. Check the trans fluid and have it changed.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Restricted User

99 V6 A4 Grand Am. It has about 42k miles on it, done it since owned it. I dont think it is a delay circuit. I can back up, place in Drive, wait, and then take off and it still does it, just like if I went and did a reverse drop. It is not temp related, or load related. It is not effected by TCS, tried it today and did the same thing it does with TCS on.
Totally confused. One dealer said the car was supposed to have the PCM reflashed, however they did not do it. Another dealer said it was done, but the problem is still there. Only about another 58k miles before her warranty runs out, so I have a little bit of time to get it fixed

TIA

Charlie
Old 03-25-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Sound like the transmission needs to be looked at. Have you posted this in the auto trans forum?? It seems like there is not sufficient pressure to allow the trans to shift into drive until you give it gas which will spin the pump faster and cause higher pressures.

Clint
Old 03-25-2004, 02:23 PM
Restricted User

I guess the trans flush-n-fill have to be performed sooner rather than later. It has one of the new integral pan/filter assemblies=PITA. Anyway, hard to figure the pressure, like I said, it will take off maybe 30 + feet, then like it was put in neutral (but theres no revving) and after a second, zoom...your off. It does it every single time too! Urgh,
Old 03-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Restricted User

anyone else???
Old 03-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Hmm... interesting. Definitaly get that trans looked at by a good qualified trans shop. Could be pressure related like mentioned above or maybe a sticking valve or weak spring in the valve body. Never seen one of those integrated filters/pans before. I'll have to look at my friends 2K 'AM next time he brings it by to check that out.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Lightbulb Had Same Problem

My wifes Grand Am had exactly the same problem. I pulled the code and it came back as a malfunctioning TCC Solenoid. I took the car to the dealership we bought it from and they kept it all day only to call and tell me they couldnt find anything wrong with it. As I was driving out of the lot the damn thing did what you are explaining again , so i took it home and pulled the code again and I'll be damned if it didnt change. It was still a TCC (Transmission Command Coctrol) solenoid code. I then the next day took it to a rival GM dealership here and they called back after less than an hour to tell me that the TCC solenoid was infact bad and that they also fould my steering rack was going out . After picking it up the next day all was well, no more slamming into gear after switching to drive. Mine was also doing the samething when you would sit at a red light or stop sign then go to take off. Hope this helps you out.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Restricted User

Well, I told her when she leaves for school to drop it off at the dealership with the above mentioned possible problems. As another test today, I backed up, placed into D waited about count of 5, then drove off no problem. I immediately stopped, backed up, palced and D and drove off = bam it did it. So, I tried the pause and it does not do it if I wait for an extra second or two. Definately not kosher now. I was thinking maybe it was part of the programming to keep from doing a reverse slam or something since she said its done this ever since she owned it. Odd. Anyway, I appreciate all the tips, and will post up what the dealer finds/replaces and what works. Thanks everyone.

Charlie

Search this Thread