Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runs perfect! Then dies?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs perfect! Then dies?!

Hey everyone, I have a problem with my LS1 on an engine stand. The engine runs, but only for about 5 seconds. After that, it shuts off on its own. Its not a fuel pressure problem, its not spark, and its not air delivery.. so I'm wondering what could be causing it. Just to fill you in on my wiring situation, I will try to lay it out clearly, and maybe you can give me some expert input.

On magnus' wiring spreadsheet, I have all pink wires on the C-100,101, and 105 plugs running to the ignition switch that require "Hot in start and run". This includes the IGN/INJ banks 1 and 2, the PCM hot from ignition, and a few others.

C-10x orange wire that runs to the always hot on the ignition switch is hooked up. I have the Ground hooked up, and I have the fan1 and fuel pump relay hooked up. I believe that is all.

Like I said, the engine runs for a few seconds, revs pick up, and then shuts off on its own. otherwise it runs really smoothe. The engine is on a stand with no coolant in it (yet - that goes in tonight) and mid oil level. Also, the engine is hooked up to the 4L60E tranny, but I had to swap a manual's PCM for mine cause mine's crunched (could that cause this?) Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Randall Lowe
Old 03-25-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I had a simualr problem Car would run fine in open loop. As soon as it entered closed loop it would die. Turned out to be bad o2 sensors.

(THEY WERE BRAND NEW )
Old 03-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96SCTA
Well I had a simualr problem Car would run fine in open loop. As soon as it entered closed loop it would die. Turned out to be bad o2 sensors.

(THEY WERE BRAND NEW )

See this doesn't even get to closed loop. It literraly runs for about 5 seconds.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Could the low coolant sensor signal be the problem? I know the PCM does a bunch of self-tests when it first starts up. Maybe if it thinks there is no coolant it shuts the engine down...???
Old 03-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Launching!

VATS bypass?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by xjarayax
VATS bypass?
What i was thinking, Have you done anything to disable the vehicle anti-theft system?? They will allow only a few seconds of run time and then shut down.

Clint
Old 03-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Teching In

I ordered a little VATS bypass system off ebay for 30 bucks. Hopefully that will fix it, it seems everyone is in agreeance, that its the VATS

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed vats.

the coolant level sensor is not related to the computer, just a idiot light on the gauge.

The coolant temp sensor, is computer controled, but should be fine for running 30 seconds or so, before i would be concerned about heating issues.

Ryan
Old 03-26-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

VATS was my second guess...
good luck