Sponsored by:

O2 sensor/tune question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default O2 sensor/tune question

Hey guys,
So my car had been smelling like it was running rich lately and finally after the SES light came on, I took it in to see what the issue was. After hooking it up, the computer read the error code 1153 (P0153 02 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)). I understand now that when the computer senses the faulty O2 sensor the computer puts itself in to a safe mode to protect the car from potientialy running lean (hence the rich smell). My question is, when it does this, will it have any effect on my car's tune/performance?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Longtube headers are notorious for tripping O2 slow response codes. If it goes into open loop (limp mode), chances are you'll be running rich (not lean) on a near-stock, bolt-ons only car....assuming nobody has been poking around in your PCM. Long term, running too rich can cause cylinder wall wash down and spark plugs to foul. So, I wouldn't ignore the issue. Last I heard, people were using rear Vette O2's on the assumption that they had a better heater core in the O2. Not sure if that was ever a proven solution though. The other thing you could do is find a tuner (or grab some software yourself) and kill the code...
Old 07-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Not to take away from the op but my 01ws6 m6 started doing the same thing yesterday. Last time it did this the person who tuned it killed this code but now its back again!?! Just a bolt on car with longtubes. Car is running great just dont wanna screw anything up. Any ideas? I do have a small exhaust leak but i have had way before the ses light came on... Thanks in advance.