Sponsored by:

1998 a4 to 1999ss m6 complete swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 a4 to 1999ss m6 complete swap questions

Hey everybody
I recently picked up a 1998 a4 complete roller with a blown motor(came with a 6.0 too). Anyway a friend of mine just totaled the 1999 ss m6 car that I built the motor in a year ago. I'm looking to see what I need to complete the swap correctly. I'll take the full 99m6 drivetrain and put it in the 98a4 body. My questions are, which is easier 1) use the 99 ECM harness or use the 98. I've already got the motor and tranny swap itself done. I'm not sure if I need to swap all other harnesses to make it work correctly. Like dash and engine compartment harness. I have all the parts from both, just trying to find the easiest way.
Or 2) use 98 PCM a4 harness and do some cutting splicing etc to make things work. A friend has hptuners and I was curious about the vin change if I use 99 ECM-ct emissions reasons, not sure if that's programmable. Any info you guys have will be greatly aprreciated. I'm just trying to get it running at this point.

All the swap, pedals, etc is done, I'm basically left with how to wire it.
Just FYI I have both bcms and columns and dash to swap out if needed to make easier.
Pm if possible so it alerts my phone thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With HPtuners you can't put a 98 VIN in a 99 PCM. The simplest is to just keep the 98 harness and pcm. Do a write entire with a 98 M6 file and wire it up for the M6.