Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone good at high horsepower 6L80 cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone good at high horsepower 6L80 cars

I put together a 2010 Camaro A6. Built motor, cam, whipple @ 12#'s, 3200 stall, supporting mods, etc and I'm having an issue.

The car is on stock suspension with nitto drag radials and as you can expect it completely destroys the tires in first and second. If you light throttle first and second to keep it from spinning and hammer down in third it will skate all the way to fourth. A lot of fun but herein lies the issue.

Anything more than 40% or so throttle in first or second and the car spins so hard it hits the limiter before shifting and consequently the car gets very upset. I have played with the limiter settings, engine TM, trans TM, trans mph and rpm shift points, and quite a few other things and some things help but nothing seem to correct it.

the only thing i can think off is to limit the ETC opening rate in first and second to physically limit the power but i really dont want to do that. i have done quite a few 4L60/80 cars that have real traction issues and can be pedaled through the shift but this one doesnt seem to want to cooperate.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty common problem for that setup. You can crank the shift pressure and drop shift time alot but very hard to get that to stop nailing the limiter on these shitty tranny's.

Or you run run big drag radials.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Pretty common problem for that setup. You can crank the shift pressure and drop shift time alot but very hard to get that to stop nailing the limiter on these shitty tranny's.

Or you run run big drag radials.
Thanks, thats what I have been doing today is dropping the times and raising the pressures. They are lower/higher than I have ever put in a 6L80 but its the closest I have it so far.

Basically where I have it now is commanding the shifts extremely low, lower the shift times quite a bit, raising the pressures, and removing upshift TM. Now i can pedal it at about 60% ETC and it wont hit the limiter before shifting.

This leads me to a TM question. Leave it or keep it. The car seems to shift better with upshift torque reduction disabled but im not sure if thats a great idea with the stock trans. If keep it, what is the best way to go about. I have all the Factor and Factor Adders at 1 and the Adder Modifier at -.8, and although I havent tried it with the new shift settings, previously it made it much worse. Ill probably try it again and see what happens

Quick Reply: Anyone good at high horsepower 6L80 cars