Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vvt tuning tables

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vvt tuning tables

I am getting ready to stab a new VVT cam in my L9H 6.2L. I was looking over a thread by CAM on what he did on his cam phaser tables ,but i'm not really sure what is all involved and what to change. I think if i install the Comp Cams phaser limiter and try to run the motor,when it tries to retard the cam anything more than the limiter allows i will get a trouble code tripped. I had my truck at the tuner this past week and i wanted him to optimize the tables for the stock cam that i have now,since i've added Kooks 1 7/8 long tubes,Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger and 90mm throttle body.I also wanted him to change all the max retard numbers to under 20 to keep from tripping a code when i install new cam.Well the tuner did neither,said he could map the cam but it what cost me thousands of dollars because of the time it would take.So it looks like i'm going to have to buy the tuner and software and do it myself. It looks like it is going to be HP Tuners or EFI Live,really not sure which to get.Geoff from EPS Spec the cam for me.It's 222/234 @ .050 .602/.612 LSA115+4. I know the phaser has 7 degrees of advance when it is parked up to about 50% duty cycle.Is this too much advance down low.Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

First, its not hard "mapping" the phaser tables as your former tuner stated. I dialed mine in on the dyno in about an hours time. Make big changes to start with and fix the cam at wot in the tune until you can determine where it makes best power vs different rpm ranges. 4* at a time, then overlay graphs and see where each cam setting is making power and where they are falling off. Then you can fine tune it. Not hard work, just be patient. I picked up 30 rwhp with modified cam phasing after the cam swap vs the stock settings.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino79
First, its not hard "mapping" the phaser tables as your former tuner stated. I dialed mine in on the dyno in about an hours time. Make big changes to start with and fix the cam at wot in the tune until you can determine where it makes best power vs different rpm ranges. 4* at a time, then overlay graphs and see where each cam setting is making power and where they are falling off. Then you can fine tune it. Not hard work, just be patient. I picked up 30 rwhp with modified cam phasing after the cam swap vs the stock settings.
That works. Did you guys zero out VVT spark and run a conventional timing map as well?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

Yes. I run conventional spark tables and I use the AFR correction timing table for wot changes while tuning.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Thats what we're doing too and its working great BUT after two plus years of dicking around with mine? Ive done enough for now and have pretty much left it alone all summer. Im going to do VVT testing when it hits the dyno we're still in "best guess" land but its running well that I can assure you no one would complain if you got a ride it cooks well. Sadly ive had some issues of my own doing that need some attention so its going to be a while yet. Im trying to make a day soon but blah who knows? I put over 15k kms on it this summer. I could do 180 kms on an 1/8th of a tank btw.... 60L. Pulled a 118 on a soft launch spinning through 1-2 and still hit a 12.1 on the one and only full pass I managed. As I said Ive got issues and this time they are mostly driver related < *bang*

But right nor i cant stop thinking about the next round of MODS i wanna do hehheee. This year was kind of a shake down for the entire car. So much newness to it your going to get stuff that needs tweaking when you do a fresh re-gear rear, fresh trans, fresh engine, COMPLETELY redesigned rear suspension and the worst offender that cursed fukn e38 POS ecm nightmare!!!!!!! Run.... while you swappers still can and follow the 24x swaps and PCMs that work easy LOL. these 58x systems are ball sack in comparison that much I can tell ya without a doubt!

Anyways i'll update here and in other threads I have cooking when I have more to add but as of now im running less retard than I was which i posted that graph in the VVT cam thread. We moved it up a bit too before rolling it in and it seems to be really liking it. I do think theres more in this thing yet though which tempts me to NOT mod it further for one more season and just try and keep tweaking it to see what it will actually do? Time will tell
Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Semi-on-topic. What kind of retard are you getting with the Comp Limiter?

I posted over on GenIV, but no responses so I'm trolling here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-limiter.html

I left my stock tables alone since I put in forged L92 pistons with deep
valve reliefs, but the phaser doesn't seem to be able to retard more than
7deg no matter what the PCM is commanding. From the specs, the limiter
should only drop it from 52 deg down to 22deg range, not 7..

I wanted to get a wide range of cam timings on the dyno since I have the PTV, but right now I'm wondering why I can't get anywhere near what I should.

Quick Reply: Vvt tuning tables