Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lc-1 or other wideband??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lc-1 or other wideband??

I was looking to get 2 widebands put in when I do my headers.

I want to do this to ensure both banks on the motor are running the same, and to use each other to rule out bad sensors without having to take it out and swap sides or sensors. (if that makes sense)

Eventually I want to get hptuners and hook them both into there, but limiting funds now I cannot get hptuners at the moment.

I think the cheapest I found the lc1 for was 139.

Would this be the best WB for me to run, plan on running them all the time as the NB 02 sensors as well as WB for hptunes to datalog? Or is there a better route to go?

Plans for the car:
TSP 1 7/8 headers
LS6 intake
Eventually Tune for e85
Cam and heads down the road

I just dont want to buy $40 extensions, then later pay 300+ for widebands, seems like a waste of money to me, but it may have to be done
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NGK Powerdex AFX

Best consumer wideband there is, this is what a very well respected tuner in the industry recommended to me, he also said he thinks Innovated widebands are junk and wont even use them if someone comes in with one. He also told me (because I asked about it) that one wideband is enough because your still seeing an average of one for four cylinders. I'm running nitrous so he said the wideband should just be for reference and the plugs will tell me more detail for each cylinder.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

I really like my AutoMeter widebands but am also a fan of LC1's stuff.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Ngk afx
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM
FormerVendor

Default Tampa Tuning Camaro Corvette CTS-v GTO GM Trucks performance tuning

Recently, I needed to calibrate a shops wideband to determine if it was reading properly because the reading it was showing was leaner than I was showing on my widebands

So to make a long story short, and although not the best application for testing, I had a little extra down time between tunes so it was time to play on my partners C6.

I plugged them all into one exhaust with seperate tail clamps while dyno my partners C6

My LM-1
My NGK
Partners FAST
Shops dynojet

lets take a couple things off the table. I love the mobility of my LM1 and the NGK had just as long of a cord, but a shorter interface plug into my HP Tuners.

The NGK provided the fastest reading in either directions with more stability. Great unit for $250 buck, but the sensor cost around $150s to replace.

The LM1 provided about the same AFR number, but slightly longer to reach the numbers that hte NGK reached. $250 bucks and about $50 bucks per sensor which seem to last me about three months.

Friends FAST under read (richer) than the LM1 and NGK. Not mine so I dont know cost.

Shops dyno jet crapped out from a loose wire just by chance and a replacement sensor was ordered, but in the past had read leaner than my LM1which was pretty much inline with the NGK, but slightly slower to respond.

So my experience was NGK won hands down with reaction time and stability through the runs. The LM1 which uses the same 3737 sensor and the LC1, not bad but lost to the NGK. I had a LM2 and hated it. Sold it and bought the NGK.

I always keep two widebands and two sensors with me if needed.

www.TampaTuning.com
Phil
Old 09-20-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ngk afx is the way to go, i have an LM2 and have had nothing but problems from day one, erratic afr readings, no changes in afr readings, firmware updates wont work on windows 7 or vista leaving you with a locked up unit till its updated. Buying anything but an ngk afx would be a waste of money.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Had the lc1 in my old car and it was very picky(check out all the problems on their message board). That was 3+ years ago, stuff might have changed. Once you get it working though it was nice.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

My Lc1 was a bit complex to install, but I've had it in for almost two years now without a problem.

And you don't need two WB's. You can monitor the other bank's mixture thru the fuel trims. My pass side bank runs about 1-2% richer. Still looking into how to combat that.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just installed the mtx-l a couple weeks ago. So far is has been great. Easy install and having it read in lambda is nice for tuning with efi live
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have had great luck with my lc1 and the gauge that goes with it.I have had it for 5 years or so and never had a problem,not the easiest to wire up though
Old 09-21-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the innovate. Only thing it's good for is, nothing. Wish I woulda kept my aem. Had an aem for years with no issues. My fathers car has had an aem for over 4 years or so. Just put another one in another of his cars.. no issues. Had to buy a new sensor for my innovate. Old one prob had 800 miles on it with a bolt on ls1 with nitrous. Stopped working.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 AM
9 Second Club

Always had good results with Innovate (currrently have an LM-2), but there seems to be a rash of problems recently with their products... AEM's are junk - have seen more of them eat sensors and have inaccurate readings than I can count... One stipulation I have is that a wideband absolutely has to have serial output capability - I will never go back to analog and all of the grounding issues that go with it. Unfortunately, the NGK AFX doesn't have serial output.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the LC1 and the only problems I've ever had were my own fault for not grounding it to 2 separate enough sources and even then it worked fine a lot of the time.

I have since regrounded and powered it and it's been perfect.

How is it complicated? You bundle 2 grounds and put them on a ground source, ground a separate ground source (reference ground), and give it 12v switched. From there it runs a serial cable from the unit into my EFI Live controller and BAM it's in business. Also I've been running the same sensor since October last year, thought it was going out so I got a new one to keep on the shelf. New sensors are $30 at Advance auto with a coupon code.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Can the NGK Powerdex AFX be hooked into my hptuners for logging? (have the pro package)

Would be nice to have the logging ability right on the laptop although the read out infront of you is nice too.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

I currently have an LC-1 and am having a lot of hassle sorting it out so it reads accurately. The nice thing about the LC-1 is no gauge to crap up your interior just plug in your laptop when you need to log. But I used to run Wideband Commanders before the LC-1 and they worked with a lot less hassle, just need to change the O2 sensor every so often.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my LC-1 for over 6 years and on two different cars with no problems.

Quick Reply: lc-1 or other wideband??