PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 barely runs, unusual circumstances. Need serious wisdom here. Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish someone in this stupid town had one so I could check. Fuel pressure was my guess from the get go.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Are you in San Diego now? I used to be stationed there. Most of the auto parts stores should carry them for pretty cheap. Autozone has one for $45. Good tool to have.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=84174_0_0_
Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

check your fuses under the hood. It sounds like you killed one of the fuses with your messed up O2 wiring to me. I've seen it before, but I don't recall which fuse it should be.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Athlon2k2
Are you in San Diego now? I used to be stationed there. Most of the auto parts stores should carry them for pretty cheap. Autozone has one for $45. Good tool to have.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=84174_0_0_
I need to change that lol. Im in Hawarden, IA. I was stationed there too last year.

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
check your fuses under the hood. It sounds like you killed one of the fuses with your messed up O2 wiring to me. I've seen it before, but I don't recall which fuse it should be.
I checked all the visibly inspectable fuses. I need to get a test light on the other ones. The only wires that are jacked up are the ones connected to the sensors. The extensions fell off.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Wow no kidding. There is nothing around you. Maybe just order it from their website would be easier than the 3 some odd hours of driving.

As just a test can you prime the fuel system wait a few minutes and then press the shredder valve on your fuel rail? This should at least tell you if the system is holding pressure. Some thing to try in the mean time.

Any luck on getting the o2 hooked back up?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Wow no kidding. There is nothing around you. Maybe just order it from their website would be easier than the 3 some odd hours of driving.

As just a test can you prime the fuel system wait a few minutes and then press the shredder valve on your fuel rail? This should at least tell you if the system is holding pressure. Some thing to try in the mean time.

Any luck on getting the o2 hooked back up?
Don't have the parts yet. Not only am trying to get this thing running, I have other projects on this car too. Waiting for my next paycheck to order parts online, since no one has rear Vette o2 sensors, an IAC, or a MAP sensor lol... In the meantime I've done the drill mod, replacing a quarter panel, replacing a door, prepping for paint, fixing my headlights, welding on my sub frame connectors, refitting my TSP true duals so they dont scrape on everything... Kinda just jumping around from thing to thing.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Wow. Staying busy.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Funny I had a bad fuel pump in my Z28 and it made the car cam out hard. Fuel would not hold at the rail and would lose fuel pressure, also had burned wires to connecter harness. I would check these things out. A marginal fuel pump will still provide an okay amount of fuel to keep the car running. but I would not run it hard. It will lean out.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah... Now all the easy stuff is done, so Im slowing down, and my wallet is getting thiiiin. Donations..?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

you had an EGR code, make sure it isn't stuck open. block it off and see if your idle returns to normal/no miss
Old 12-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28_LS1
Funny I had a bad fuel pump in my Z28 and it made the car cam out hard. Fuel would not hold at the rail and would lose fuel pressure, also had burned wires to connecter harness. I would check these things out. A marginal fuel pump will still provide an okay amount of fuel to keep the car running. but I would not run it hard. It will lean out.
Well that's opposite of what this car is doing. I will NOT idle, for even 1 second. I have to pump the gas to keep it running. It runs normal WOT. It's noticeably running very rich.

Originally Posted by lynx853
you had an EGR code, make sure it isn't stuck open. block it off and see if your idle returns to normal/no miss
No EGR on this car, that why I got the code. It's not tuned out though. Literally, isn't even on the car, no chance.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FactoryFreak99
Well that's opposite of what this car is doing. I will NOT idle, for even 1 second. I have to pump the gas to keep it running. It runs normal WOT. It's noticeably running very rich.

No EGR on this car, that why I got the code. It's not tuned out though. Literally, isn't even on the car, no chance.
maybe a bad ground somewhere. check the back of the cylinder head.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28_LS1
maybe a bad ground somewhere. check the back of the cylinder head.
I'll check for it. Gosh I hate how this is coming... Im getting worried.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont have an autozone or napa? cause the oxygen sensor for the vette is bosch 13111 you keep throwing money at electrical parts you will go broke, fix the obvious things that you have found first ,You said that your oxygen sensor wiring was junk i wouldnt have went any further than that.My car wouldnt run when my extension harness burned.Only wot,I have owned my car since it was new in 2000 so i am not an expert but i do have a been there done that experience.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KRAZY K 2000 TA
you dont have an autozone or napa? cause the oxygen sensor for the vette is bosch 13111 you keep throwing money at electrical parts you will go broke, fix the obvious things that you have found first ,You said that your oxygen sensor wiring was junk i wouldnt have went any further than that.My car wouldnt run when my extension harness burned.Only wot,I have owned my car since it was new in 2000 so i am not an expert but i do have a been there done that experience.
That's what I'm doing man. The IAC is bad, I'm getting new o2 sensors, and I have a MAP Sensor code. The MAP sensors seals are you are ripped, so it needs to be replaced cause they don't fit that tight into FAST intakes.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Any news on this?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Any news on this?
Yes... It is running worse now. It started missing pretty bad and backfiring really bad. I switched out the MAP Sensor on it since I had a code for it. It didn't change a thing. The o2's are on their way, should be here this weekend. I unfortunately am putting all my marbles on these o2 sensors. If it has been run like this for so long, I heard the fuel trims could be messed up. How do I reset these for sure? I just don't understand how o2 sensors could have this much effect on how it runs. Can you post a video to here? I know you guys havent heard an LS1 run like this.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

I've had O2 sensors cause some serious issues. I always disconnect the battery and hold the + and - together for a while. I heard this drains any capacitors that may have juice. When you reconnect everything it should relearn everything that is dynamic. I've done this after replacing my O2 to make sure they are using the new accurate inputs.

As far as a video. It is easiest to upload to Youtube and link it.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

I've had O2 sensors cause some serious issues. I always disconnect the battery and hold the + and - together for a while. I heard this drains any capacitors that may have juice. When you reconnect everything it should relearn everything that is dynamic. I've done this after replacing my O2 to make sure they are using the new accurate inputs.

As far as a video. It is easiest to upload to Youtube and link it.
Thank you bro... Answer me this though. If I unhook the battery and drain everything. Shouldn't it start up and run fine without o2 sensors? The o2's don't even do anything at first start up? I only ask this cause I have had the battery die before and it didn't change anything. Or couldn't I just do this right now and it would run better?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

From my understanding the only time o2 sensors are used is on idle and light loads. After that it is all the programmed maps. Granted they are constinantly being monitored for Cat malfunctions. This wiki has some good info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor

Quick Reply: LS1 barely runs, unusual circumstances. Need serious wisdom here. Where do I start?