PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hp Tuner BE vs PE on a 3 bar OS

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the custom OS's become free with HPTuners when you have the tunershop license. I use the custom 1bar MAF Enhanced OS on nearly all NA cars I tune so that I can take advantage of RTT etc.

The only advantage I can see so far from research is the nitrous features to adjust fuel and timing by grounding an input however I really don't see any better control of commanded EQ in boosted OS's.

My main question to those that use EFI more was how the boost enrichment or whatever method is used in EFILive for commanded EQ with boost works? Is there a BE table or is the OLFA table rescaled for a higher map sensor scale etc, just curious.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With the EFIlive COS's the commanded EQ in boost is the last cell of the PE table (CL mode) or the last column of the OLFA table (OL mode).

BTW: the COS OLFA table has RPM replacing the the ECT axis (i.e. RPMxMAP instead of ECTxMAP).

There is no BE table (if I understand what BE is)... the operating point flows off the Main VE table and onto the Boost VE table.

Also, for the largest cams the operating point can flow down into the TP VE table at some RPM/MAP that you can define.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 AM
FormerVendor

No BE is boost enrich. It acts the same as the PE table only it's scale is map related instead of rpm. Above a set map reading this table kicks in. The problem in hpt is this table isn't in the high speed cycle of calculations and has a delay before it kicks in meaning u now have to use PE to command a desired EQ under boost.

This is why I was wondering how EFI does their boost enrichment. Is the new OLFA table got map readings in the boost region? Is PE rescaled to use map instead of RPM?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, the RPMxMAP OLFA only goes to 1-bar... the last column is what is commanded in boost.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the commanded fuel vs. RPM table (what you are calling OLFA) to command up to 105kpa, then use the PE table to command my boost fueling - you can control when it comes in using the MAP threshold setting (i.e. set it at 105 or 110kpa) and you can get rid of all delay in EFILive.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ah, ok, from what BLK02WS6 said, I looked more closely at my COS5 file...

regardless of boost, the PE table is referenced by RPM (so disregard my previous comment about "last cell of PE table");

the PE MAP threshold can be set upto 285 kPa;

so OL commanded fueling would be determined like this:
- below MAP threashold: from RPMxMAP OLFA table (last column if above 100 kPa),
- above PE MAP threshold: from PE table;

and like BLK02WS6 said, the two PE delays can be zeroed/bypassed.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM
FormerVendor

Gotcha... So basically if your running closed loop then the open loop commanded table is pointless? Because in the stock OS and HPTuners custom OS's, it will not switch into open loop until the power enrich parameters are met. And even then it'll use the richer of the two whether it be PE or the open loop commanded table.

So in a nutshell it doesn't operate much differently than HPTuners does in relation to commanded fueling in boost.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, in CL the OLFA table is pointless (it is not active); yes, PE is active when the various PE entry parameters are met.

Here's what I saw from doing a few simple experiments (with intersecting PE and OLFA tables and the various protection modes disabled):

CL: going to WOT: the mode does not really go to OL (it stays in a CL-like mode), I saw that only the PE table was active (i.e. OLFA was not active even when it was set richer than PE);

OL: going to WOT: the mode is indeed OL, I saw the richer of PE and OLFA being selected as RPM progressed (both PE and OLFA were active);

i.e. it seems that the richest of the active tables is selected (this model seems to include the protection modes)... so it's a matter of understanding what tables become active and when.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

By "tables" in the previous post I mean any tables that could command EQ.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Same way HPTuners works which is basically how any stock operating system would work as well.

I really like how efi re scales the OLFA table to rpm instead of ECT. That's gotta be handy.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
Yeah that's what I've seen as well. Really sucks to not have some specialty stuff designed around the 0411pcm. With the EGR control etc it wouldn't be a huge task to build a custom OS that used that PWM circuitry for a boost control solenoid. I'm no programmer but coming from the old chip based Hondas there are guys that have turned that function on those old dinosaur ecus to control boost vs gear or speed.

I don't have efilive but plan on adding it to my arsenal... How does efi work with 2/3bar upgrades? What function is added to control commanded fueling vs boost? Just curious what the actual operating system differences are compared to the 2/3bar HPTuners OS.
So you're saying BE is dependent on PE and not a stand alone parameter ?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
FormerVendor

No BE is its own parameter. Above a certain map reading it will enable the commanded EQ vs MAP.

Like stated earlier though it has a delay before it activates so to me is rather useless.

I've not done enough testing to see if BE will enable prior to PE enabling. Example: tps to reach PE has not been met but boost is present and above the BE setpoint. Where I don't normally use BE I don't really remember how it operates.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below is a screen shot of an example of what I was talking about - the MAP vs RPM table (on the left) is used up to whatever kPa you set the PE table (on the right) to come in at (I generally use 105 to 110 kPa). The PE will come in instantly if you set all of the enablers and delays to do so...

The other nice feature of the EFILive COS is semi-open loop - anywhere you see 14.63 in the MAP vs RPM table, it uses short term fuel trims (LTFTs are disabled). There are lots of parameters you can set to control the STFTs as well...
Attached Thumbnails Hp Tuner BE vs PE on a 3 bar OS-commanded-fueling.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
No BE is its own parameter. Above a certain map reading it will enable the commanded EQ vs MAP.

Like stated earlier though it has a delay before it activates so to me is rather useless.

I've not done enough testing to see if BE will enable prior to PE enabling. Example: tps to reach PE has not been met but boost is present and above the BE setpoint. Where I don't normally use BE I don't really remember how it operates.
Seems this would be the biggest benefit of BE. Low rpm high load where pe might not ordinarily enable, BE might take over. This is the primary area I would be curious about and how fast it enables would be the big concern.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Anyway to Overlap(Blend) the Values in the BE & VE tables??? Kind of a shitty band aid fix for it acting so slow but better than the alternative?? Then Enable PE as your WOT Equation after it breaks the BE setpoint.

Quick Reply: Hp Tuner BE vs PE on a 3 bar OS