PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm about to pull my hair out... AEM wideband install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default I'm about to pull my hair out... AEM wideband install?

I bought a AEM wideband a while back. I actually made another thread about this but anyway. I installed it and for some reason at idle it would peg lean and display - - -. Well I contacted AEM and they said it sounds like the 02 sensor is bad so I sent it in and it tested good. Well I checked all my connections and the same thing. They told me to send the entire kit in so I did, everything tested perfect. They told me to make sure I had no other sensors ran off the power and ground, well seeing as how I did have other sensor ran off it I figured bingo theres my problem. Well I put it back in tonight and its the same ****. Pegs full lean at idle and with constant throttle. I have the ground ran straight to the battery and the power wire is ran into the fuse box in the empty slot labeled IGN. I also noticed something else weird about it, with just the key on the air/fuel gauge will float between 12-15. I thought it was suppose to show 14.7 or.8 and it actually used to without the engine running. I also measured the length of the exhaust system and added roughly a foot of exhaust pipe and still the same thing. I have 13 inches of pipe between the header and the sensor and I have 45-47 inches of exhaust pipe between the sensor and where it dumps. Is it possible I don't have a good power source? Maybe I should move the sensor forward? I'm completely lost on this. I've never been so annoyed about anything. I don't understand what I"m doing wrong. All help is appreciated.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With power to the wb and the car off is should peg lean. It really sounds like a wiring issue
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the aem have two outputs? My wb has a 0-5 and a narrow band sim. Maybe you have the gauge hooked up to a narrow band output?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

With the key on and the car off it fluctuates like its getting signal. It does have to outputs a blue and a white wire. Both are cut smooth and taped up seperately. No way they're making contact on anything. I've got power on the red wire (straight to the fuse box labeled IGN) and the black wire straight to the ground on the battery. It pegs lean idling and displays - - -. What I don't understand is how that its fluctuating with the car off. Somehow its getting signal when there should be no signal to get. I just don't understand.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Without the car running and the unit powered up it should be full lean with no fluctuation at all. It sounds like your power and ground are in the right spots. Do you have any splices in the wiring? Butt connectors?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

yea in the power and ground wires. I cut the harness with the power and ground to where it was about a foot long and then spliced them there and ran it straight to where they go. AEM tested it after it was cut though so as far as the AEM harness it should be good.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like this? It read numbers at first while off because the car had been running.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

Mine just takes a little longer to go full lean and my pegged is 18. The only thing I can figure is that the air/fuel is showing correct. I've hooked power and ground directly to the battery with the same thing. At idle the car will show full lean with a little throttle it will jump back down or when under load but at a steady say 2500 rpms It will read high 15- low 16s. This is sitting in my driveway not while driving. I called AEM again and they said it had to be the issue. The car was just tuned that lean, if they tested everything, everyhings plugged in, power and ground are stright off the battery then it has to be it. With a quick stab of the throttle I'm dropping down in the 10s. Evidently at idle I'm tuned fairly lean and at wot I'm pig rich. I have made changes to the car since having it tuned not to mention it was 98 in the dyno room. I guess I'll get it on a dyno soon and they can tell me if the gauge is accurate or not. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

idle should be 14.8 to 15.2, but it will fluccuate and show numbers as high as 16's no biggie. Same thing cruising around. wot on a NA car should be 12.50 to low 13's. Does it hit 10's if you just floor it for a second? You need to stay in it to find out.

BTW if the aem reads 18 max it's more than likely leaner than that if it's a flat 18.00. And it wont idle at all. For example, but innovate says 22.2, no way could my car idle... same thing 22.2 at wot. Not ganna happen.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

At idle it will fluctuate between 17.8-.9 to --- fairly repeatedly.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I have the ground ran straight to the battery and the power wire is ran into the fuse box in the empty slot labeled IGN.
Did you actually put a new fuse in the empty slot? That's what I want to do with my wideband just to keep it looking clean, but I can't find any info anywhere on how to use the empty slots.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

4-year old thread... you knew that right?
Old 04-17-2017, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
4-year old thread... you knew that right?
Yes that's very helpful. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Quick Reply: I'm about to pull my hair out... AEM wideband install?