Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners and tuner lock question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners and tuner lock question

I have a 88 camaro with a ls1 swap and the computer that im using was previously tuned for 00 ls1 camaro that had a cam. Im not sure what tuning software the tuner was using but with HP Tuners if im able to go into the editor and im able to read the PCM and look at the tune i would assume that means its not tuner locked and i would also be able to tune it and flash it??? I have not licensed the pcm yet because i was unsure if it was still possibly locked even though i can read it. Is that possible? thanks for any help im still trying to figure all of this out.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can check the tunerlock/unlock status in calibration details.

open vcm editor , upper left area of first screen there is an icon of a magnifying glass , click the icon and it will open up calibration details

lock unlock options are upper left of calibration details window
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

If you can read the tune from the vehicle, it is not tuner locked.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like its not locked.It wont read the SN of the PCM it just shows Y,s. I read thats due to past programming errors or something. Im trying to get through that because I just want to license that PCM not the year/model license. I tried flashing it with the stock software through GM and it failed that too so I dont know. One more question. I have the tune thats in my current PCM saved so if I get another PCM and flash it with the stock 2000 ls1 software then register the new PCM I should be able to flash my current tune into that PCM correct? Could that possibly screw up the reading of that SN as well and cause HP Tuners to then not read my new PCM? Thanks for the help!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the tech2 tell it that it is a new pcm and you should be good. You can't use your original file without licensing it. Just do a compare and copy over differences.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flame
With the tech2 tell it that it is a new pcm and you should be good. You can't use your original file without licensing it. Just do a compare and copy over differences.
A tech 2 will not flash over that area and fill in a blank are that is empty on where the serial is stored.

When it shows yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy It is usually because of a bad ram event causing it to flush itself to all FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF........
In the 4000-8000 area of the binary..

Did you try to contact hp to see if they could fix a bin file and allow you to do a full flash with valid data in that area?

In EFIlive when we see a bad data section, we fill in a random serial and real vin to fix this issue all automatically..
Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wait4me
A tech 2 will not flash over that area and fill in a blank are that is empty on where the serial is stored.

When it shows yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy It is usually because of a bad ram event causing it to flush itself to all FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF........
In the 4000-8000 area of the binary..

Did you try to contact hp to see if they could fix a bin file and allow you to do a full flash with valid data in that area?

In EFIlive when we see a bad data section, we fill in a random serial and real vin to fix this issue all automatically..
I have not contacted them yet. Im going to try another pcm that i have first that has the same tune in it and see what happens. If not i will contact them. Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 PM
FormerVendor

If you are up to it you can send me the PCM and I can overwrite it with a good stock file for you to license and you can copy all of the parameters over from your current file to start off with.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners and tuner lock question