Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 90mm Manifold & 90mm TPIS TB....Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST 90mm Manifold & 90mm TPIS TB....Issues

I have a 2001 c5 with an ARE 436ci Forged Stroker. For some reason the car CANNOT get tuned for the new 90mm FAST Manifold and 90mm TPIS TB. When started the car flashes to 3500rpm++ and holds it before SLOWLY coming down but still high.

When cruising and pressing the clutch in the rpm's RACE very high. So basically when driving, you press the clutch (foot off the gas pedal) and the rpm's go nuts. The idle and rpms are all over the place. Power is down bad too!

Anyone have any ideas? I can't believe tuning this combo has been this big a nightmare. The car is undriveable. Useless.

The car is at ARE right now and it isn't going well for the tuning. Just looking for ideas if anyone has any.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:35 PM
FormerVendor

Have you tried idle relearn. I also nitice when the weather changes the RPM on my SS shoot up to about 1200 and then slowly come down. I does this for a week until it learns and stops doing it
Old 04-16-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an air leak in the intake path...
Old 04-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Stock MAF?
Old 04-16-2004, 09:45 PM
FormerVendor

It is all in the tuning. We did a LOT of R&D on this with our TB before we released it and yes, it is tough, but it can be done.

Give Lou@ LGMotorsports a call. Also, We will be in Lime Rock CT for a World-challenge race which isnt too far from NY. We could gladly tune it for you up there

Louis
Old 04-17-2004, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

just KEEP DRIVING IT. I just installed mine tonight and it did the EXACT same thing, I just kept driving it and it got better and better. if it does it shut off the engine and restart and it will idle like normal again. I shut off and started it at every stop I cam to and it worked itself out after about 50 miles. also put it in sixth or 5th when it does it to get control back of the RPMs'
Old 04-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xssive
Sounds like an air leak in the intake path...
No air leask that can be seen or heard.............
Old 04-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChevyGoldfinger
Stock MAF?
Yes, stock 85mm MAF
Old 04-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 383ss
just KEEP DRIVING IT. I just installed mine tonight and it did the EXACT same thing, I just kept driving it and it got better and better. if it does it shut off the engine and restart and it will idle like normal again. I shut off and started it at every stop I cam to and it worked itself out after about 50 miles. also put it in sixth or 5th when it does it to get control back of the RPMs'
Will the HIGH RPM's work itself out when the clutchis pressed in? Everytime I switch gears and press the clutch in the RPM's SOAR without touching the gas pedal
Old 04-17-2004, 10:11 AM
9 Second Club

Take the tb off and with the blade closed, shine a flashlight through one end. I bet you have big gaps between the blade and the housing. I had this problem with a ported TB on my Z06. I did several Idle relearns, and evertime I started the car it would rev to 3500 again. I ended up removing the TB.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Reboot
Take the tb off and with the blade closed, shine a flashlight through one end. I bet you have big gaps between the blade and the housing. I had this problem with a ported TB on my Z06. I did several Idle relearns, and evertime I started the car it would rev to 3500 again. I ended up removing the TB.
Someone else mentioned this too. So bad quality of control then? I think I will end up putting my stock pieces back on. This isn't worth the frustration frankly. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you. I haven't done this yet but I sure hope ARE would check thngs like this. I have a feeling I'll put my stock parts back on. This isn't worth it. I'll never get my car back. What a waste of a TON of money buying htese pieces.....makes me sick...................
Old 04-17-2004, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Buckmaster
Will the HIGH RPM's work itself out when the clutchis pressed in? Everytime I switch gears and press the clutch in the RPM's SOAR without touching the gas pedal

no, put it in 5th or 6th and let the clutch engage. mine was doing the SAME thing initially. it's WAY better now, but not perfect. it goes up to about 2000rpms once in a while, but is livable and getting better.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383ss
no, put it in 5th or 6th and let the clutch engage. mine was doing the SAME thing initially. it's WAY better now, but not perfect. it goes up to about 2000rpms once in a while, but is livable and getting better.
Vette's and F-bodies are two different animals when it comes to the TB. Vette's have fly-by-wire and no hole in the stock TB. They don't compensate as well as f-bodies if there is a gap between the TB and housing.

BTW- I saw a 90mm FAST TB that was going on my buddies WS6. There was a gap so big between the TB and housing that I could have read a book looking through it.

Good Luck! I hope you get things sorted out.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Vette's and F-bodies are two different animals when it comes to the TB. Vette's have fly-by-wire and no hole in the stock TB. They don't compensate as well as f-bodies if there is a gap between the TB and housing.

BTW- I saw a 90mm FAST TB that was going on my buddies WS6. There was a gap so big between the TB and housing that I could have read a book looking through it.

Good Luck! I hope you get things sorted out.
I hear ya. When i looked at where the TB and FAST Intake were bolted together there was DEFINTELY a gap. I inquired to them about it and they said they tested it and there was no leak. Which I found hard to believe because like you said the gap was HUGE. The top and bottom of the connection looked good but the middle "bowed out" (for lack of a better word) Very poor fit IMO. I am not happy with the set-up. But now I have spent the money....I am certain noone would be willing to refund my MONEY What a waste!!!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Banned

This really sucks. Sorry to hear about the problems your having.
Someone posted they saw their buddies 90mm Fast TB and there was a hugh hole. I didn't realize these were out yet. Finally
Well good luck to you.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Post fast 90 mm throttle body install

Originally Posted by Buckmaster
I have a 2001 c5 with an ARE 436ci Forged Stroker. For some reason the car CANNOT get tuned for the new 90mm FAST Manifold and 90mm TPIS TB. When started the car flashes to 3500rpm++ and holds it before SLOWLY coming down but still high.

When cruising and pressing the clutch in the rpm's RACE very high. So basically when driving, you press the clutch (foot off the gas pedal) and the rpm's go nuts. The idle and rpms are all over the place. Power is down bad too!

Anyone have any ideas? I can't believe tuning this combo has been this big a nightmare. The car is undriveable. Useless.

The car is at ARE right now and it isn't going well for the tuning. Just looking for ideas if anyone has any.
first thing to do is close the blade all the way and adjust the idle screw enought to keep it from sticking shut.before install the throttle body is to disconnect the ground from the battery.install throttle body car well figure the idle on its own and if necessary adust the idle screw to no more then 600 rpm
Old 04-19-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cooperhead
first thing to do is close the blade all the way and adjust the idle screw enought to keep it from sticking shut.before install the throttle body is to disconnect the ground from the battery.install throttle body car well figure the idle on its own and if necessary adust the idle screw to no more then 600 rpm

Vettes don't have an Idle set screw. Fly-by Wire.

joel
Old 04-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Default 90 mm throttle body install

I INSTALL COMPLETE SET UP ON MY CAR WITH NO PROBLEMS AND IT MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE ON MY CAR.FIRST THING IS TO SET THE BLADE ON THE THROTTLE BODY COMPLETLY CLOSED BUT NOT WERE IT STICKS SHUT. NEXT THING TO DO IS DISCONNECT THE GROUND CABLE OFF OF THE BATTERY.DO THE INSTALL DOUBLE CHECK THAT AFTER YOU DONE THAT THE THROTTLE CABLE NOT HANGING THE BLADE OPEN.CAR SHOULD IDLE AROUND 600 RPM YOU LL NEED TO DRIVE IT AROUND SO THAT MAP CAN GET A NEW READING
Old 04-19-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got to be some uncontrolled air there. Maybe blade
seating, maybe IAC (as implemented w/ drive-by-
wire) minimums need to be programmed different
as a bigger blade may make bigger gap for same
angle or whatever.

Then again this would not be the first time that
intake product fit/finish problems have dogged
early adopters... not saying it's so, just that it
can't be discounted out-of-hand. I would sure
do some propane testing just to ease my mind