Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP Numbers?

Got my car tuned recently. The results were 370 rwhp with 386 rwtq. My build consist of 243 heads, TSP 1-7/8" Long Tube Headers, and TSP 224R cam. The tuner had to go not as aggressively with the tune because the TSP headers are rubbing due to sagging engine mounts. What numbers would you expect after all of this gets fixed? Fixed being new engine mounts and a more aggressive tune. I was thinking 390 rwhp. Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your 390hp goal depends on fuel quality in your area, what intake you have, what spark plugs, and how much the tuner actually left on the table for timing via timing and fuel ratio.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wait4me
Your 390hp goal depends on fuel quality in your area, what intake you have, what spark plugs, and how much the tuner actually left on the table for timing via timing and fuel ratio.
I'm good on the spark plugs. I'm using NGK iridiums.However, the intake would definitely serve as a bottleneck. I'm using the stock LS1. I was also told that I might want to consider upgrading the fuel iinjectors. 98 was supposed to be one of the better years for stock fuel injectors on an f body car, but I was told there was some room on the table still if I upgraded that.

You mentioned fuel quality. Where or what do I need to do to get some good quality fuel. I live a fairly large town.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huntsville Al?

If so, Trackmasters? The guy over behind Checkers, Industrial RD or whatever it is?

I mad 36X-37X Rwhp on his dyno with Gomer tuning the car. However, I ran 7.2-7.3s@95+ mph at Huntsville in 2200+DA. Full weight 3500# 226 cam ls6 intake ported TB full exhaust 1 3/4 headers and a PTC 4000. For your mods and my mods at the time, it seems right on... On the new intake setup it only got me high 37XRwhp... I was hoping to run some 7.0s@97mph.

That dyno blows for numbers, it is a heart breaker, don't pay attention to it at all. I use to love telling people what I put down.

Gomer isn't tuning right now is he? Who tuned the car?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Ah okay. I feel better now. Had looked at bigbirdls1's numbers and thought mine were low compared to his. But if you're saying mine are spot on then I feel much better now.

Lane Culver tuned my car. He really seems to know his stuff and I've heard really good things about him. He's over in Lacey Springs. As a matter of fact, I'm sending my car over there today to get some new engine mounts installed. My current ones are sagging and rubbing up against the k member.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98WS6Hville
Ah okay. I feel better now. Had looked at bigbirdls1's numbers and thought mine were low compared to his. But if you're saying mine are spot on then I feel much better now.

Lane Culver tuned my car. He really seems to know his stuff and I've heard really good things about him. He's over in Lacey Springs. As a matter of fact, I'm sending my car over there today to get some new engine mounts installed. My current ones are sagging and rubbing up against the k member.
Yea, most say that dyno is a 20-25Rwhp low. It is a joke. Take it to the track to get a true power reading.

I don't know who that is but I highly recommend Gomer as soon as he gets back on his feet, there will be no question about the tune.. It is who we all use.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

Your numbers are about the same as i put down on a dynojet with my C5 with the same mods. Did your tuner leave HP on the table because of false knock from the headers, or you ranout of injector?
He should be able to tell you.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning
Your numbers are about the same as i put down on a dynojet with my C5 with the same mods. Did your tuner leave HP on the table because of false knock from the headers, or you ranout of injector?
He should be able to tell you.
Yes, basically what you said word-for-word is what Culver said. There was room left on the table because of knocking from the headers and he didn't want to get too aggressive with the tune because of that.

---

I'll be adding several different things on the car in the future. I'll have to look up Gomer and see what I can find. You've never heard of Lane Culver? The place is called Lane Culver Automotive in Lacey Springs. His father was also a big tuner. Culver is the guy with a '93 Mazda RX7 that has an LS2 engine in it. Made Hotrod magazine.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

No sir I haven't... Gomer is all I need to know about!

Quick Reply: HP Numbers?