PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust making a terrible popping!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exhaust making a terrible popping!

1998 Camaro Z28 6-spd w/ 147,000 miles

So, I'm noticing more and more when I stomp on the gas while shifting through 1-3, I hear this atrocious "pop pop poppop poppoppop pop" coming from the exhaust; I can almost feel it through the gas pedal. And friends have told me that they'll see a cloud of blue smoke puffing out of my exhaust pipes.

There is no evidence of leaks coming from the engine area. No head or cam work done to it.

How screwed am I?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need a log file with A/F ratios especially. Pull a couple plugs and see how they look. it's either ignition breakup or running very rich and fuel igniting in the exhaust. Just don't keep doing it just in case it's excessive detonation.

What else is done to the car? The early coils, and even any LS1 coils, are known to missfilre at high RPM's which has been suspected to lead to the #7 cyl problems. Can missfire so fast that the PCM can't pick up on it and before the PCM can pull timing, you end up with a severe detonation event and damaged internals. Not saying this is the problem, but could have something to do with it.

if you don't have scanning software, bring it to someone who does or bring it to a dealer with a good scan tool.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! Haven't done anything to the engine (mods) for a while. Will definitely have my local shop guys take a look at the plugs, etc. Yeah, it's only when I whomp on the gas.

Quick Reply: Exhaust making a terrible popping!