Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning maf vs speed density

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning maf vs speed density

I like to know the pros and cons of each...seems my tuner guy uses the SD type. But is that the best way?
Thanks alot.
Rick
Old 03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Just do what you and your tuner feel comfortable with. Maf is usually easier, but I prefer to use both like stock if possible.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wait4me
Just do what you and your tuner feel comfortable with. Maf is usually easier, but I prefer to use both like stock if possible.
x2, unless you've got some odd swap car where it's not convenient to use a MAF.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's the problem. I don't know which is better or worse or easier or or or...
Im having tranny trouble 4l60E, tranny shop says it's not adjusting the line pressure thru the ecm and has burnt the tranny twice,they say the maf isn't working right. The tuner says its tuned thru SD and should work. SOOO, Im stuck in the middle with no 4th gear, OD.. Just wanting to know the difference between the two types of tuning. Why one over the other?
Rick
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is your whole setup?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM
FormerVendor

If its not setup properly running SD the Max line pressure will trip and cause excess pressure at all times. That's about the only thing other than just a crap tranny tune or wrong fuel constants and airflow calibration causing calculated torque to be off.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

We defiantly need to know your modification list to help farther..
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

True,
03 6.0l long block lq4 w/07 6.0l heads and an ls3 intake/injectors
nnick williams 92mm dbc throttle body
TR cam, .610 lift .223/.239 duration
headers.
05 trk 4l60e w/3200 revmax conv
ECM is a mistery 411
PSI harness
When I took it in to get tuned I just dropped it off, They never asked me what was in it or what was what.

Tranny shop said the tranny wasn't getting enough line pressure and burnt it up so theyve manually boosted the line pressure to 150 to keep it from doing it again. BUT I still dont have 4th/OD. and not to sure about 2nd. It definitly doesn't shift right...

I do need to say that they would get it back in and look at it again, so Im not bashing them,,Im in the process of getting it painted and have had alot of snow. Ive got parts off getting painted tonight infact. Just haven't had time to get it back up to them....

Thanks for all the input.
Rick
Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Still didn't get any answer? Which is better, for drivability wise, performance.?
Rick
Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by flywheel
Still didn't get any answer? Which is better, for drivability wise, performance.?
Rick
No way is better. Both have exactly the same outcome for drivability and mileage if tuned correctly. Horsepower would be exactly the same as well.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

^^^ Exactly right

The shops telling people that a SD tune will make more power are fools. It is ONLY true IF the MAF sensor itself is a restriction in the intake tract. With that said a LS3/7 MAF sensor and a $40 Spectre housing is pretty cheap compared to some of these "100mm MAF" sensors vendors sell and will support more HP than any hydraulic cam street engine will ever make.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flywheel
I like to know the pros and cons of each...seems my tuner guy uses the SD type. But is that the best way?
Thanks alot.
Rick
As per other responses, both will net the same end result when tuned properly. An advantage of MAF is that it will more readily adjust for extremes in elevation and temperature if the tune is not "spot on". I had a very half-a$$ed MAF tune from a now defunct sponsor a couple years ago. The VE and timing tables were crap when I checked them and the MAF compensation was about the only factor that kept the car from melting a piston.

As for my car now, it's a screwy setup to say the least. Due to being previously turbocharged, I'm running a 2-bar MAF with a HP-Tuners SD tune + "overkill" 60lb MotoTron injectors. I currently live in the Cali desert at 3K feet with 30 degree winters and 115 degree summers..... and regularly drive to the coast (sea-level + 70 degree temps). Even with these extremes, my SD tune is valid for the altitude/temp changes. I scan it periodically and have an AEM wideband to keep tabs on things.

Conclusion. MAF/SD. Doesn't matter. The end justifies the means. Proper tuning is key. With improper tuning....MAF is more forgiving.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Tuning maf vs speed density