Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning question

I had a question hopefully you can help, I installed a Performabuilt Level 2 transmission and a 3200 stall converter, After the install when i drive the car it seems to bog down when i accelerate and surges off and on, A friend on European Fbody said it may need a tune because of the stall converter.

I am stationed in Germany and do not have access to a scanner or a shop. In your opinion do you think the PCM needs to be tunes, The only other Mods i have are TSP Long tube beaders, cat back and ram air kit.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

The bogging sounds strange, might get a second opinion from somebody on base familiar with stalled cars to see if you're just feeling the exaggerated rpm drop when the converter locks. The surging is probably the converter locking and unlocking, which if that's the case, you'll need a tune. The PCM thinks the car is misfiring and unlocking the converter.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bog has me thinking limp mode, fuse good? harness plug clean? No pinched wires
between trans and eng? Any codes? a lot of the trans codes do not light the SES
A stall can require some tuning most aftermarket converter clutches do not like
the PWM that is stock, misfire monitors may need desensitized a little, Rev limiter
and shift points may need massaged.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It needs a tune for the converter depending on how loose it is. The fake misfires will cause the engine to go to the low octane table usually and so the car will have a lot less timing than normal,

However, if you feel that the engine is getting pulled down on oddly, maybe there is binding in the transmission in some gears.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

I think its a tune, The only code the ses light is throwing is a o2 sensor code...Since i am here in Germany, i was looking at sending the PCM in for a mail order tune. Doing some reading i believe a tune by Frost is the way to go. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Tuning question