PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VERY confusing misfire issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates? I'm fighting a problem similar to this...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just FYI... the crank relearn will not fix any actual misfiring. It is only used as a way to monitor for misfires.

Does it still get worse in the rain? Can you duplicate the condition by misting water in certain areas?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you solved your issues?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would deff ohm out the coils, if you said cylinders 1,3,7 were miss firing i would swap coils around and maybe try a compression test and a leak down test
Old 09-23-2014, 06:22 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would also like to know if this was fixed????
I had a 99 Jimmy once that had random misfires. It turned out to be the bottom of the fuse block was corroded. It was also causing flickering interior lights. May wanna check fuse block and any bulkhead connectors.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I just saw this was an old thread but I wanted to ask the OP anyway if he was using 02 extensions, vette 02's or repinned the rear 02's.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by armyinfantry3id
"The generic OBD II protocol works on a request system, which means that the scan tool has to actually ask the ECM for each PID (In OBD II a PID stands for parameter identification). This OBD II request operation contrasts with the OEM communications protocols that work using data packets, whereby, the data stream PIDs is sent in bursts or packets. However, generic OBD II standardized the whole communications process and made it possible to, at least, have access to a minimum of data for diagnostics regardless of make and model. In generic OBD II, by simply reducing the amount of PIDs on the screen a faster data rate can be obtained, since the scanner has to request less data. By combining different and faster data PIDs to form a relationship, a signal correlation can be arrived at. An example is an EGR valve that is commanded on (manually or otherwise) which should have an effect on the MAP sensor. A lack of MAP sensor response is a good indication of a defective or clogged EGR valve, since an opening EGR valve should create a drop in intake vacuum. The same PID strategy is also employed by the ECM when running each drive cycle. The difference is that we can also use these techniques to our advantage when diagnosing a vehicle."

I hope this helps explain a litte. for more info check out this site http://www.autodiagnosticsandpublish..._parameter.htm

THIS^^. Great post.

Quick Reply: VERY confusing misfire issue!!