PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Hypertech "tuner" to set speedo for tire height

Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Hypertech "tuner" to set speedo for tire height

The first f body I bought came with a Hypertech tuner. I just bought a different car with a 408 iron block, built 6 speed, 9" etc. Bluecat out of Kentucky tuned the car. When I replace the tires on the car with a different size, would I be able to plug in my hypertech to correct the speedo readout without affecting any tuning that bluecat did? I sure as hell dont want to overwrite his tune with a hypertech "tune"
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last time it was used, was car "put back to stock"? If not just throw it away.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Last time it was used was on my 99 with catback, 85mm MAF, lid and 160* thermostat. I believe the car was sold with the hypertech tuning on it. Havent plugged it into the new car.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 PM
9-Second Club

If used on a different car last time, it is for sure a door stop. May as well pitch it.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyledvor61
The first f body I bought came with a Hypertech tuner. I just bought a different car with a 408 iron block, built 6 speed, 9" etc. Bluecat out of Kentucky tuned the car. When I replace the tires on the car with a different size, would I be able to plug in my hypertech to correct the speedo readout without affecting any tuning that bluecat did? I sure as hell dont want to overwrite his tune with a hypertech "tune"
I'm pretty sure most handhelds will wipe out your custom tune. I tuned a truck and the guy tried to adjust his tire size with a handheld and it erased my tune. He had a crane hand held.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by minytrker
I'm pretty sure most handhelds will wipe out your custom tune. I tuned a truck and the guy tried to adjust his tire size with a handheld and it erased my tune. He had a crane hand held.
Unless they have changed something, a new blank Hypertech programmer reads and stores a copy of your present calibration, and considers this "stock". This ONLY applies to a blank programmer! If you have your vehicle tuned, and own one of these be CERTAIN you "put it back to stock" before any tuning is done!! Then, if you only make a tire change it reads it, and writes it back with only the tire size changed. If you failed to take the previouse tuning out, putting the programmer back to blank configuration, it will absolutely write over your new tuning. You have to use your head a little. :-)

If it was used on another vehicle, and never used the "put back to stock" function, it is now a door stop. Absolutely will not function on another vehicle! May as well throw it away.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Well ****, I only kept it because I thought I could use it, I'm glad I asked before I tried it. I'll mail it to the new owner of the car so he can use it. Thanks guys.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Ed said it correct, if you used the programmer and didnt go back to stock it is married to the other vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using Hypertech "tuner" to set speedo for tire height