PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a base tune for mild heads/cam LS1 (EFI Live)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a base tune for mild heads/cam LS1 (EFI Live)

I just finished the wrenching side of swapping a 1999 LS1/4L60e into my 1970 GTO Judge, and now I'm trying to sort out the tuning. Other than some Power Commander 3 experience on crotch rockets years ago and on our FSAE formula car, I am a complete noob to tuning and especially EFI Live. I hate asking for any more than advice and direction, but I am reading myself in circles trying to just understand how to get to the point that I can at least drive the car and log some data.

From what i've gathered, I've got terrible timing jumping into the EFI Live scene... custom tune libraries have been shut down, bouncing b/w V7 and V8, and the TAQuickness plug n play cable to make my LM-2 work with the V2 is no longer offered. :banghead:

Here's what I'm working with:
- EFI Live V2 Scan and Tune
- Innovate LM-2 with a serial cable I made to plug n play with the V2.
- Going speed density right off the bat per the recommendation of several friends with experience.

Drivetrain:
- Stock bottom end 1999 LS1
- 799 heads with a home port/polish, 3 angle valve job, and .600" 918 springs
- heads decked .005" to true them up, and .040" MLS head gaskets (instead of the stock .052")
- Comp 222/224 .556/.568 on 112 cam
- Typhoon 85mm intake and throttle body.
- Stock 1999 26 lb/hr @ 58 psi injectors with billet rails
- Long tube headers and 2.5" duals w/X-pipe
- 4L60 has been beefed up and running a Yank SS3600

I realize the cam is very mismatched for the rest of the setup... I spec'd and bought it when the plan was to do a cam only LS1 w/stock intake, TB, heads, and smaller or stock stall, but as you can see the plans changed. I'm considering a cam upgrade at the end of the year somewhere between a 228R and a TSP V2. With the entire combination I'm really leaning towards the bigger end to make use of these heads.

I am getting familiar with the software, and already did a full flash of the stock 1999 PCM to a hybrid stock 1999/2002 12212156 OS with all the unnecessary junk turned off, with plans to upgrade to the COS5 02020002 operating system. Right now I'm just looking for a tune that will get the car in the ball park and driveable.

Wow, that was long winded, but I appreciate any help. :burnout:

Last edited by krwyellowZ28; 04-29-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Are you on the EFILive forum? Have you started a thread over there, I dont remember seeing one with these mods. With a LS1B PCM, Id highly suggest using the Calc.VET tutorial to dial your fueling in then get started on spark. Id watch your injector duty cycle as well, you might be out of injector or close to it.

You dont need to go SD with that mild of a setup, only reason to ditch the MAF would be if you didnt have room to package it. MAF/SD hyrbid is much MUCH more forgiving than a full SD setup. Unless you plan on going FI down the road, Id leave the MAF alone.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the response. I just made a new post on the GenIII subforum on the EFI Live forum. I think I'll be ok for injectors with this cam, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye on them.

You're probably right and I should've stuck with the MAF... I feel a little over my head right now. I do plan to go with a moderately agressive cam, and the other reason for ditiching the MAF was that I'm running a 4" intake trakt to an 85 mm TB, and I didn't want the 78 mm TB bottle neck. I do have dreams of a TVS1900, but that's a few years down the road. I also depinned the MAF when I modified the harness. :/

I've read, re-read, and re-re-read pretty much all of the tutorials and too many threads to remember. I'll try going through the calc.VET tutorial again tonight sitting in the car.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Teching In

The first thing you need to tune called! Auto VE tuning! After you are finish with that, your next tune is called Calc VE tuning this tunes air going into the motor! note: This should be done on a dyno ! This will clean up most of everything!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

We sell base tunes and also tune cars remotely through email with efi live.

Quick Reply: Looking for a base tune for mild heads/cam LS1 (EFI Live)