Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASR switch and Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASR switch and Airbag light

Hi, I posted this problem before and still haven't got it figured out. My airbag light is staying on and my ASR switch blinks on startup, but stays in the off position and won't turn on. I know it might seem like a blessing to some , but I'd prefer the option of at least being able to turn it on in bad weather. Any more ideas anybody? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-27-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did the problem start after any service (your's or anyone elses)?

I will tell you what mine came from, then you can go from there. Did a dyno tune. The dyno grunt inadvertantly pulled the connector out of the box on the floorpan directly above the differential. This connector is the quick connect for the TCS (ASR) and the ABS sensors wiring to the rear end. Once I plgged it back in, viola....all was right with the world. You may have a disconnected plug somewhere, or perhaps even a wire pulled out at any of the 4 wheels or innthe wiring. I'd check all those first, then look for other problems. good luck.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Only service done on the car was a minor frame pull on a computerized machine. My car was a light front end hit and the frame rails from the struts forward were minimally bent. Everything from there back was straight as an arrow Anyway, that's the only service I had done to it since I bought it. I reinstalled the airbag since they removed it. The light for that never went off for me. Thanks for the advice; I'll check the wire connections to the boxes at the wheels. I'm pretty sure I've looked at them before and they were all hooked up. Who knows, maybe one is loose or one of the wires were sliced. If this makes any sense to anybody, when I remove the courtesy or power accessory fuse, forget which one specifically, the button works fine. The light comes on inside the switch when I turn it on, and goes off when I turn it off. This damn car is posessed!
Old 04-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Just checked the wires; they're all good and tight. Tried the trick again with taking out the fuses and that doesn't seem to work now. Everytime I turn the car on, the ASR switch light flashes twice then stays off. Nothing happens when I push on the switch. That was a good idea to check the connections, any other ideas? It's probably something stupid that's making it do this.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you replaced bags and sensor, you may need the dealer to reprogram your instrument cluster. It has to match some numbers in it with the air bag control module. If you get the trial version of EFILive, it pulls airbag codes. Mine has a b1001 which is "option configuration error".....means gotta get a dealer (tech 2) to program the instrument cluster
Old 04-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

I did replace the bag in the steering wheel, but it was the original one from the car. They took it out so nobody would try to steal it. All I did was unhook the battery, connect the bag, and screw it in. Turned the car back on, and the light stayed on. If it's the same bag, would it still throw a code? If so, then it's kind of good. At least I'll know what it's lit up for. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

doesn't matter about the bags...main thing is you have to replace the SDM under the console...that may be setting the light....need the instrument cluster reprogram if you get code b1001. Autotap won't show these codes. Is this the original bags/sdm?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, it's the original bag that came with the car. The salvage dealer just unhooked the original bag so it wouldn't get stolen; guess they have a problem with that. Good idea on checking the SDM. I assume nothing but the bag in the car was touched, however I wouldn't really know. Come to think of it, I always wondered why there was a crack and a plastic chip missing out of the side of my console. Never could figure out how the hell somebody could bust it there. Maybe they did it while trying to remove it to mess with something in there?!? Thanks for the info. I'll go investigate
Old 04-29-2004, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Checked out the SDM and it was connected good. I was almost a stupid *** b/c I was jiggling the connection to the sensor around pretty good to make sure it was tight when I saw the "!" mark and remembered it was an airbag sensor too!!! Would've been a good kick to the junk to have that go off this early in the morning. Oh well, guess I'll have to get the car scanned for the airbag code.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:29 AM
9 Second Club

hmmm....so your car never blew the original bags? If that's the case, your SDM should be fine. Then you problem is a loose ground...there is one right behing the SDM...wiring or the clockspring in the steering console. Do you have Atap?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Nope, original bags never went in it. The salvage dealer told me that it was hit in a parking lot with the key out of the ignition, and that's why the bags didn't go off. Someone on here told me to check the clockspring before. He said that he had his steering column apart and it broke during the process. The only thing touched on the steering column for my car was the airbag being removed. Where is the clockspring located? I'll check it anyway. I'll also check the ground wire; I'm pretty sure I saw the one you're talking about last night. I don't have any type of scanners for the car yet Would I be able to get read the code by putting jumper wires in the plug under the dash like autozone does? Thanks for your help. I don't know if it will pass inspection with this airbag light on. So the sooner I can get it to go off (other than pulling the power accessory fuse) the better.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club

Ga won't pass with the airbag light on. Clock spring is under the steering wheel. The clockspring won't be broken unless they had the steering shaft off and kept turning the wheel around. You can tru to unplug the bags under the dash...yellow wire harness...one on each side. These are the wires to the bags. Insert a 2 ohm resistor into the plug where the bag was plugged in and see if the light goes out. The bags are each 2 ohm so the resisitor simulates a bag being there. Pull the airbag fuse before you start monkeying with it and stick it back in after you insert a resistor. You can get em at radioshack. Just do one at a time. This may help you troubleshoot.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

The ground wire was fine when I checked it this morning. There's a yellow wire harness for the airbags one on each side under the dash? You're not talking about the little yellow wire connector for the driver's side airbag in the steering wheel, right? Okay, should I disconnect the battery first just to be safe when unplugging the bags? I'm paranoid when playing around with the bags b/c I don't want to set them off for sure. That's another great idea to help pinpoint which bag is causing this. You know your stuff when it comes to these cars--good for me! Do you have a job as a technician? Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:32 AM
9 Second Club

HAHA...no I have a salvage car I am working on and am learning as I go. Just undo the airbag fuse and wait 10 secs as the SDM can still fire up to 10 secs later. The connectors are at the bottom of the steering column and under the glove box on the right side. They are bright yellow ...2 wires each in each yellow sheath. If you really want to learn how this stuff is hooked up, subscribe to alldata.com I got all my info from there....15bux for one car and you will get boatloads of knowledge about your car. It will give you the same type info gm uses. It tells you how to install clockspring...center it...ground locations etc. You REALLY need a scanner like autotap tho. Then you could use the atap cable with the free version of efilive and get the codes for the airbag.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

AH HA! Yeah, having a salvage car is fun isn't it? This is the first car I've ever really had to put together. You learn a lot about the car quick. Of course, like an idiot, when I first got the car I tore everything I could off from the damaged area and just mixed all the nuts and bolts in a can. Then I found out what people meant about trying to line up aftermarket parts. It has been a lot of fun, though. Just wish I can get these couple of problems solved so I can get it inspected and start Where was your car hit at and how bad? Last night, I did see the two bright yellow wire harnesses you were talking about. I'm going to Radio shack today to get the resistors. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2004, 07:21 PM
9 Second Club

guy dead centered a tree. Of course the frame rails were pointing at each other towards the center and then he spun and smacked the rear quarter.
I WISH it woulda still had the damaged front clip...I was missing bolts ...brackets..all sorts of stuff. I got my hood on today...not ligned up right but it's on. i worked on tuning today...tomorrow I gotta raise the car up and start tucking some stuff away like tranny cooler lines etc

Originally Posted by Salvaged_Z
AH HA! Yeah, having a alvage car is fun isn't it? This is the first car I've ever really had to put together. You learn a lot about the car quick. Of course, like an idiot, when I first got the car I tore everything I could off from the damaged area and just mixed all the nuts and bolts in a can. Then I found out what people meant about trying to line up aftermarket parts. It has been a lot of fun, though. Just wish I can get these couple of problems solved so I can get it inspected and start Where was your car hit at and how bad? Last night, I did see the two bright yellow wire harnesses you were talking about. I'm going to Radio shack today to get the resistors. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, if you're in need of the upper tranny line, I've got one. I've got both of them actually but I don't know if I need the lower one or not. I think it's shot, but it looks like a real pain in the *** to reinstall it. I thought there was a way I could thread through the bottom of the K member, but nope. Gotta drop everything. Won't have a chance to try the resistors over the weekend, but when I get back Monday I will. I'm down visiting my g/f in Philly Thanks again. If you need something, I might have it. Let me know. Oh, and I do have an extra air deflector if you need it too. It's for a Camaro, though.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:49 PM
9 Second Club

You shouldn't have to drop anything to get the lines in. You just gotta twist em as you slide em in from the front. I went around the block today..twice! Yaaayyy I put 2 miles on it. I still got lots to do but it's getting there. Any before/after pics of your car?
Old 05-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Went to a Radioshack down here in Philly today. I could only find 2.2 ohm 1/2 watt resistors--and they were all out of them. I don't know if this would work or not, but is there any way I could use two 1ohm 1/4 watt resistors? haaha, probably not but worth a shot. I do have some before pics of the car I can send you when I get home. I'd rather wait til the entire car is finished b4 I send the after pics. I did try wiggling the tranny lines above the k-member, but I could only make them fit if the square bend was on the right hand side and not the left side like it's supposed to be. I'll have to try it again, but I'm afraid of cracking the line since it's pretty fragile when it comes to bends.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

This might be no help at all, but do you have steering wheel radio controls and if so do they work? I had a problem with my air bag light and it was a broke SRI coil. It is behind the airbag and was caused when we installed my headers. Something to think about.

Quick Reply: ASR switch and Airbag light