Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 GMC S truck with 04 GTO has codes,need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1993 GMC S truck with 04 GTO has codes,need ideas

I'm in the middle , well almost to the end of my swap. I have a 1993 GMC truck with a 2004 GTO engine ( trick flow heads,green top injectors, lumpy cam, and 4l80-e transmission. I have a couple of code that showed up on the snap on scanner. I have code 608 which is a vss output A malfunction, and the other code is a 654 RPM circuit malfunction. I pretty much thing the 654 code is because I forgot about wiring in the tach so it doesn't show a rpm at all. I'm lost on the 608 code. Any idea on what I might have to look for? Also another thing is it is running pig rich, and is on teh vergeof flooding at idle, does sound pretty mean though. The snap on scanner doesn't show anything else other than those 2 codes, but when I use the hp tuners is shows the maf as faulty. I have a bin file from the hp tuners if somebody wants to take a look at it. I can't figure out how to post a link here for everybody to see. Any help would be appreciated. Here's the link to a you tube video of it running though.

Last edited by Stormed_Norm; 06-25-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you tune it for the bigger injectors and lumpy cam and 4L80 since a 04 GTO didn't come with any of those?

DTC P0608

Circuit Description
The powertrain control module (PCM) creates the vehicle speed output signal by pulsing the circuit to ground. The PCM monitors the voltage on the vehicle speed output circuit. If the PCM determines that the voltage is out of the normal operating range, a DTC sets.

Various components apply a voltage to the vehicle speed output circuit. The PCM creates the vehicle speed output signal by rapidly grounding this circuit via an internal switch called a driver. The driver operates at the same rate as the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) signal input. The various components recognize the voltage being pulled to ground as an indication of vehicle speed. The PCM driver supplies the ground for the component being controlled. Each driver has a fault line which the PCM monitors. When the PCM commands a component ON, the voltage of the control circuit should be LOW (near 0 volts). When the PCM commands the control circuit to a component OFF, the voltage potential of the circuit should be HIGH (near battery voltage). If the fault detection circuit senses a voltage other than what is expected, the fault line status changes causing DTC P0608 to set.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The engine speed is more than 400 RPM.
The ignition voltage is between 6 volts and 18 volts.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The PCM detects that the commanded state of the driver and the actual state of the signal circuit do not match.
The above condition must be present for a minimum of 5 seconds.

DTC P0654

Circuit Description

The powertrain control module (PCM) creates the engine speed output signal by pulsing the circuit to ground at a predetermined hertz rate. The PCM pulses the circuit at the same rate as the engine speed signal input. The PCM monitors the voltage on the engine speed output circuit. If the PCM determines the voltage is out of the normal operating range, a DTC sets.

The PCM supplies a voltage to the engine speed output circuit. The PCM creates the engine speed output signal by rapidly grounding this circuit via an internal switch called a driver. The other components on this circuit recognize the voltage being pulled to ground as an indication of engine speed. The PCM driver supplies the ground for the component being controlled. Each driver has a fault line which the PCM monitors. When the PCM commands a component ON, the voltage of the control circuit should be LOW (near 0 volts). When the PCM commands the control circuit to a component OFF, the voltage potential of the circuit should be HIGH (near battery voltage). If the fault detection circuit senses a voltage other than what is expected, the fault line status changes, causing DTC P0654 to set.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The engine speed is greater than 400 RPM.
The ignition voltage is greater than 6 volts, but less than 18 volts.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The PCM detects that the commanded state of the driver and the actual state of the control circuit do not match.
All of the above conditions exist for a minimum of 5.0 seconds.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tune was on it when I bought it, and the seller ( member on this forum )changed the stuff ( crosses fingers) for the tire size,gear ratio and transmission. Just have to figure out the electronics part of it now ( my weakest point).

Quick Reply: 1993 GMC S truck with 04 GTO has codes,need ideas