PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF tuning vs SD

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I wouldn't buy all of Greg Banish's stock. Yeah, he tunes cars and writes books. He also dyno tuned my heads cam and intake LT1 and made a whopping 235 RWHP and sent me on my way, and told me "I can't figure it out, but everything seems to be good". I fixed his screw up and made another 120 at the wheels. Then because of his shotty install skills he nicked a cam bearing during the install and destroyed my LT1. Then he told me to "F" off when I asked if he would do anything for me after it was confirmed he grenaded my motor. Detroit Speed Works (the shop he was running at the time) closed shortly after as he had screwed up many more cars than mine.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
FWIW, I wouldn't buy all of Greg Banish's stock. Yeah, he tunes cars and writes books. He also dyno tuned my heads cam and intake LT1 and made a whopping 235 RWHP and sent me on my way, and told me "I can't figure it out, but everything seems to be good". I fixed his screw up and made another 120 at the wheels. Then because of his shotty install skills he nicked a cam bearing during the install and destroyed my LT1. Then he told me to "F" off when I asked if he would do anything for me after it was confirmed he grenaded my motor. Detroit Speed Works (the shop he was running at the time) closed shortly after as he had screwed up many more cars than mine.
I don't believe anyone is the be all end all. But him and a select few others on efi live, like joe car, have been kind enough to "teach a man to fish" instead of just spouting their opinion without helping anyone understand the why like some others in here.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not arguing him teaching you to fish, I'm just suggesting you may not necessarily want to learn to fish from someone who sank the boat.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
I'm not arguing him teaching you to fish, I'm just suggesting you may not necessarily want to learn to fish from someone who sank the boat.
Thanks for the input and I'm sorry you had a bad experience with him. With that said, the same statement can be said about every tuner and/or sponsor on this site for one reason or another. But we obviously got the thread sidetracked, the interesting thing is that most everyone agrees to keep the maf if possible
Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
When running with MAF, the VE table is used during throttle/airflow transients upto to the dynamic air threshold, and also to sanity check the MAF.

VE is not a fueling table... VE is a cylinder airmass table, it provides cylinder airmass at the operating point (RPMxMAP)... fueling is then calculated on top of this (same with MAF, cylinder airmass is calculated from it)... separating this out allows for a better understanding of how fueling functions...

PE is a fueling table... PE does not add fuel on top of VE or MAF... if active, PE specifies the desired/commanded fueling (if its operating point/cell is the richest of the currently active fueling tables) indendently of VE or MAF... (and, if CL was present, the last/learnt positive LTFT is added on top of PE fueling).
What's goin on Joe! I poke my head back in only to find that not a whole lot has changed. Glad to see you're still around, man... Wonder if I should tell them about my MAF only tunes?

That's right, everyone else....I looked my VE table square in the eye and said, "F**k you, man! F**k you!!" Even worse, I'm running 450+rwhp to the tire on a h/c car using the stock MAF curve and have near-stock drive-ability. Oh the wrenches I could throw...

Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
What's goin on Joe! I poke my head back in only to find that not a whole lot has changed. Glad to see you're still around, man... Wonder if I should tell them about my MAF only tunes?

That's right, everyone else....I looked my VE table square in the eye and said, "F**k you, man! F**k you!!" Even worse, I'm running 450+rwhp to the tire on a h/c car using the stock MAF curve and have near-stock drive-ability. Oh the wrenches I could throw...
Did you do the whole calculate the IFR table in reverse by using the stock MAF curve? I've read about it over on EFI Live and it was fun watching all of you guys go back and forth
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Did you do the whole calculate the IFR table in reverse by using the stock MAF curve? I've read about it over on EFI Live and it was fun watching all of you guys go back and forth
I did the whole "the MAF is a meter that will measure air flow so I'm not changing it's settings since I didn't change the meter" thing (still have my honeycomb screen), found a linear set of values that worked for my injectors in the IFR (along with the right offset and minimum thresholds), and managed to get my commanded and actual AFRs where they're supposed to be. The net result was a tune that I couldn't have set up in lower RPMs with the use of a WBO2 because of the 18* of overlap in my cam that was letting fresh O2 into my exhaust system AND a less stressful tuner (me) because there's only a hand full of cells in the IFR table vs. the 100's of cells in the MAF/VE tables.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Jeff, good to hear from you
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

To the OP:

the point about scaling is that now the g/cyl (cylinder airmass) is going to be different, this is what references into the spark table (the axis, either horizontal or vertical depending of software being used), so unless you shift the spark table you will see the wrong spark timing

(if airmass is now 0.50 g where it was previously 1.00 g, this references a different column or row in the spark table)

that was my simple point, and somehow it got lost.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I did the whole "the MAF is a meter that will measure air flow so I'm not changing it's settings since I didn't change the meter" thing (still have my honeycomb screen), found a linear set of values that worked for my injectors in the IFR (along with the right offset and minimum thresholds), and managed to get my commanded and actual AFRs where they're supposed to be. The net result was a tune that I couldn't have set up in lower RPMs with the use of a WBO2 because of the 18* of overlap in my cam that was letting fresh O2 into my exhaust system AND a less stressful tuner (me) because there's only a hand full of cells in the IFR table vs. the 100's of cells in the MAF/VE tables.
Thats the method I was referring to. That was a good read with you, Joe, Shawn, marcin, etc.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Thank you for the good info guys.

Quick Reply: MAF tuning vs SD