PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Old Gas Cause A Knock Sensor Code

Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Old Gas Cause A Knock Sensor Code

OK so my car has been sitting for like 2 1/2-3 months and i didnt start it or drive it cause i was waiting on parts. Now i got all the parts in and on so i went and took it around the block. The highest RPMs the car went was like 3700. So when i got home i saw i had a SES light and i got my scanner and it said both knock sensors had low voltage so could bad gas cause this?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its possible, but i dont think 3 month old gas would cause knock sensors to go bad. Swap in some new gas and reset the pcm to see what happens
Old 08-03-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bad gas will not cause a low voltage reading. Gasoline never even comes in contact with the sensors.

My guess is a corroded ground or harness pigtail.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

So what exactly does a low voltage knock sensor code mean. Does it mean the knock sensors dont have enough voltage to operate. Or does it mean i might have have some engine knock. I believe my plugs are to hot. Im running stock plugs from auto zone. Didnt even think about it until now and my static compression is 11.2:1. What plugs should i be running. Also i cleared the code and let it idle for like 10 minutes and i didn't get any codes. Ive been meaning to ask. Why do i sometimes get a code without the SES light coming on?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man check those sensors, hell even replace them if you get to, I just had taken apart my manifold and replaced some sensors, but didn't think to do the knock sensors even though they are fine, and they weren't in my budget but after all the work of taking everything out its something you should do if you can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can Old Gas Cause A Knock Sensor Code