Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In car Wide Band ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In car Wide Band ?s

I will be jumping into the "do it yourself" PCM tuning thing and I have a few questions.

1. What "In car" Wide Band O2 meter have most folks been using?
2. Will it come with it's own monitor or will I have to use a laptop with it also?
3. If I get the car tuned pretty close to perfect {13 to 1 maybe?} thoughout the rpm range with the wide band, will I still need to fine tune for the most power on a dyno? Or will I be close enough going by wide band tuning alone?
Old 05-03-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the LM-1 wideband ... it seems very popular... it's even standard equipment now with new mustang dynos.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

You'll also want to buy the RPM converter... so i's 350 for the unit, 100 for the RPM converter.

Then you can follow the instructions to set the unit up to log both RPM and the O2 .. the unit has built in memory so you can record it, then download to a laptop or you can log directly on the laptop.

They also make a nifty wideband AFR gauge (i like it much more than the goofy flashing light AFR gauge i used to have)

Tuning the AFR is just 1 part of tuning... once that's dialed in you could probably still gain power on the dyno since you want to adjust your timing as well for max power... or you can use the method.. raise timing until you get knock then lower it down... but if you dial in the AFR w/the wideband unit that should be just as good as AFR tuning on a dyno (maybe even better because you're doing it with the car under load)
Old 05-03-2004, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by horist
I've got the LM-1 wideband ... it seems very popular... it's even standard equipment now with new mustang dynos.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/
That's one option... I use the Dynojet Wideband Commander - http://www.widebandcommander.com/

I got it at a GP price of $399 from Xtreme motorsports. It includes the control unit, wideband sensor, and an autometer AFR gauge. You can log data on board while driving and download to a laptop later using the supplied software and USB cable, or log it on the laptop in real time. You can also set it up to control a relay and/or warning light under specified RPM/TPS/AFR conditions.

I use the wideband system to spray my 2nd stage nitrous shot at 4200 rpm, 100% TPS, and AFR richer then 12.0
Old 05-03-2004, 10:36 PM
8 Second Club

dynojet a/f commander here too , ( also from xtreme).
still got to install it, but it seems to be the best bang for the buck so far.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info everyone. Anyone have any experience with both the LM-1 and the Dynojet, compare the two??