PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[HP Tuners' Spotlight] HP Tuners is looking for you!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cleenehaus, give us the details!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for asking...

Aside from oil pan and pickup tube modifications, the engine is a completely stock LS1 from a 2003 Corvette. The turbo is a Turbonetics T66 that is currently paired with an HKS wastegate set at 5 psi . The transmission is a T56 out of a 2006 GTO with a twin disc clutch, and the rear end is a Ford 8.8 from a Thunderbird. The fuel system consists of a recirculation loop to the firewall that's regulated by a Fuel Lab fpr with a 1:1 MAP reference. There are two Walbro 255 pumps in the tank, but only one runs until a MAP switch turns on the second under boost. The injectors are Seimens Deka 60 lb'ers with the typical flow test and placement of the fattest injectors in the rear of the engine. For the most part, I've farbricated everything myself with the exception of the engine cradle, which I bought from V8 Roadsters. The exhaust manifolds were the biggest component of this due to the tight quarters. One other thing I did is make an exhaust ejector, that draws a vacuum on the crankcase to absolve myself of all this worry around entraining oil vapors into the engine through the catch can. Instead, I just draw it into the exhaust pipe about 2' from the tip (well beyond the WBO2).

I'm running the 2 bar speed density OS. Initially, I was going to use the blended MAF/VE system, but in the process of tuning the VE table, it ran so well I just decided to stay with SD. This is the first car I've built that does not have a carburetor, so tuning this thing with a laptop is a new world for me, but its been going relatively well. I started off with questions like "It's too rich, what do I do?", and now I have evolved to making refinements to the timing, PE and closed loop tables. I have received alot of help from this forum and the HP Tuners forum, and have not yet had to post a question, I've been able to find the answer... sometimes from a gas station parking lot while I'm out on a tuning cruise.

I just completed a big brake upgrade and front mount oil cooler setup, which is sandwiched between the massive (for a Miata) intercooler and the massive (for a Miata) Griffin radiator.

All in all, no complaints... the car is super fast and fun, even at 5psi. I'm planning on some dyno time this summer, and my only goal is to have the self control to stop cranking on that boost controller before it blows up. I've been agonizing over where this point lies, and even ran a regression in Excel on the data in the "stock bottom end reliability list" to see what my chances of survival at 500 whp were.

I've been maintaining a build thread on a Miata forum, if you care to read more.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Teching In

More pictures...

Old 05-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Old 05-28-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2007 Corvette C6 Convertible...........tuned with HPT by me. 780 RWHP / 770 RWT
Forged LS402 by LME
Edelbrock Eforce supercharger
Edelbrock 245 heads, CNC ported by WCCH, ID 850's
Cam by PAT G.
6L80 trans, built by myself and Autopital
Circle D triple disc stall, 3.42 built diff,
Too many details to list them all here, but she runs great.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is my 2004 Clone SS

HKE 5.3 Naturaly Asperated
243's ported
HKE custom cam 249/256 .700/.700 LSA 108
Holley Hi-Ram 102mm intake
Nick Williams DBW 102mm TB
Kooks 1-7/8's headers
Custom X pipe
Jr. Built 4L70
Neal Chance 6400 stall
5.38 gears
499.6 HP
Best ET 11.0 @123 MPH all motor
Tuned with HP Tuners by me

Quick Reply: [HP Tuners' Spotlight] HP Tuners is looking for you!