PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand Alone Fuel Injection for LS3

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stand Alone Fuel Injection for LS3

I have been building a LS3 engine for my 66 Chevelle. I am looking for options for my fuel injection system and wiring harness/pcm.

I am shooting for 500hp with no power adders. I have built the long block and i am ready to start with the injection. I am shooting for 500hp.

The long block is a LS3 block with a 4.070 bore. I am runing forged pistons and a 4.10 stroke crank. Heas are GM 88958758. I am runing a .641 int / .615 exh and a duration of 231/236 and 111lsa for the cam shaft.

I am not going to run any variable vale timing or displacement on demand. It has a 58x recluctor.

I want to find a stand alone wiring harness ans pcm the i can tune. I am not sure if a factory system would work well enough for what i want. I was thinking about getting a FAST system but i am not sure if there is maybe something better out there.

Any input would be a great help.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Megasquirt 3 and you can tune it on your own with the engine running and it has auto tune feature too. Very affordable.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Megasquirt 3 and you can tune it on your own with the engine running and it has auto tune feature too. Very affordable.
Does it come with a computer and the wiring harness? Do you have a link>
Old 11-04-2013, 03:53 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FAST is a very good system, as is BS3 and the newest Holley system.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BS3s are dinosaurs, Kind of like "Barney" the old, friendly, stupid, dinosaur...

XFI FAST is good, but dated. Also no Drive by Wire.

Holley Dominator is one of the few that will run the Drive by Wire, if that is to be left on the engine. And it is going to be the cheapest to get into.

Motec, one of the others that can do the DBW, and would be the best Stand Alone, but would cost as much as the whole car.

ProEfi is a great system that will also do the Drive by Wire, but is going to be priced higher , not quite at the Motec level, tho.

The MS3pro(Megasquirt 3) is going to be as flexable as the Motec, and would have the same steep learning curve the Motec does, but it is mostly for the tinkers that really want absolute engine control on a budget. It
doesn't have the DBW, and developers say it problably never will. They are not interested in ever adding it to the system.

If you are going standalone your best bet would be to find someone close to you, that you trust to tune the car, and go with their recommendations, unless they recommend the BS3, then just go with the nest closest guy....HAha.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gto65racer
Does it come with a computer and the wiring harness? Do you have a link>
Here is an old Pontiac in the the Engine masters this year, with an MS3pro on it.

http://stblogs.hotrod.com/files/2013...ce-650x487.png

I put that up there because of your screen name.

But for a plug and play setup(computer and plug-in wiring harness), an MS3 GOLD BOX would be the most "Consumer" type setup. There were two of these in the top Engine Masters entries.

http://www.efisource.com/shop/ms3-lsx-plug-and-play/
Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your just stuck on using DBW for some reason (more **** to go wrong), the new Holley system would be your best bet. GM puts that in the new COPO Camaro factory race cars. I have tuned those. They work very well.

I have sold a couple of FAST XFI systems to guys that gave up on and just threw away megasquirt systems. that was a few years ago, maybe they are better now. I would not gamble my money on one.

I don't prefer MS3 myself, but many of the top builders of NHRA Stock, Super Stock and Comp Eliminator EFI engines (Jeff
taylor, Mike Trumble, etc, etc. Patterson Racing Engines has changed from BS3, and now uses the new Holley a lot, like they have on the new COPO I have been working with them on the tuning.) do prefer MS3. I like FAST XFI, except for the added box needed for the multi coil LS engines. Many LS race engines don't use that multi coil set up anyway.

Quick Reply: Stand Alone Fuel Injection for LS3